425.0 meters above normal zero.When the Crown Prince Friedrich was at this site on 3 Nov. 1833, he exclaimed enthusiastically: "This landscape is one of the most beautiful in the Rhineland!"To commemorate the presence of the Crown Prince, in 1879 the citizens of Manderscheid erected a pillar in a volcanic stone pedestal, which originated in the Roman villa on Mosenberg and is reminiscent of a high visit by an inscription. From 1805 to 1836 Wendelin Munich was pastor in the nearby Buchholz. The pastor was a great friend of nature and so he began gradually to develop the area around his church with paths on which he could read his breviary in peace. His favorite place was a place high above the Liesertal, from where he had a wonderful view of Manderscheid and the two castles. From a bench he could enjoy the view.On November 3, 1833, the Crown Prince and later King Frederick William IV of Prussia visited the Eifel. Pastor Munich also proudly showed the high gentleman his "beautiful view".When a beautification club was founded in Manderscheid in 1869, it was decided to work on the other Lieser site, which had been set up by Pastor München, because where else would you have such a great view of the up-and-coming Manderscheid to the Mosenberg.
In 1872, the club performed first work on Belvedere. For the construction of a first pavilion they spent 40 thaler.
November 15, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!