Altschönegg Castle was the seat of one of the most important families of the Ministerial Ministry in Bavarian Swabia. Altschönegg 1237 and Neuschönegg (castle) 1219 were first mentioned in a document. From 1355, the Schönegg reign was in the hands of the Augsburg monastery, which remained the local ruler until 1803. Thereafter, sovereignty passed to the Electorate of Bavaria. Prince Anselm Maria Fugger von Babenhausen acquired the 30 m high keep in 1809, the last vestige of the castle, which had been stormed several times and had been devastated during the Peasant War. Fugger had the ruin repaired and made the building accessible to the public as a lookout tower (so-called Roman tower). Signposted in the center!
It is very dark inside and the old stairs are difficult to walk!
February 15, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.