In this important town house from 1651, the numerous connections to the Netherlands, which have also left their mark on Lingen's townscape, are particularly clear.
The building history of the house is based on the numerous new findings that were discovered during the renovation of the house in winter 2004/2005, such as wall paintings, old window frames with baroque carvings or panes of lead-glazed windows. This also includes numerous reused components from older construction periods that were built into the upper floors of the house, especially old doors and windows.
The most famous offspring of the house Am Markt 20 is the actor Franz Theodor Schmitz alias Theo Lingen, whose father was born in this house.
December 17, 2019
The historic town hall in Lingen an der Ems is the most important landmark of the town and, although remarkably small even for town halls of its time, occupies a dominant position in terms of urban planning.The building was erected in 1555 on the spacious Lingen market square in an exposed position to the northwest, where it adjoins the Große Straße which opens there. With a floor area of only 104 square meters, it was built on old foundations in just under three years. It is believed that this is a previous building from the 15th century, which was destroyed in the city fire of 1548. The building was designed as a plastered structure from the start and for this reason also stands out from the brick buildings that dominate north-west Germany. In place of today's flight of stairs there was originally an open court arbor supported by sandstone pillars. When it became common in the 17th century for courts to sit in closed halls, the courtroom was moved to the upper floor. A guard room with two prison cells was set up on the ground floor, as well as the city scales. In 1663 the building was rebuilt and received a representative flight of stairs on which the judgments were announced and a new main entrance leading from the stairs into the building. The baroque stepped gable creates a connection to the Dutch Renaissance and also sets the building apart from the other buildings in Lingen's old town in this direction. 
The anchoring irons at the height of the main cornice point to this renovation with the year 1663. In the gable above this entrance you can see the Lingen city coat of arms with the three towers.
In 2001 the town hall underwent extensive renovation and renovation work. Since then, the premises have been used for receptions and civil weddings.de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historisches_Rathaus_(Lingen)
July 28, 2021
The old town of Lingen has preserved many historical traces from the last four centuries. The older bourgeois houses are half-timbered and have gable fronts facing the city. Many of them did not survive the great city fire of 1548, the sieges by the Dutch and Spaniards as well as the hurricane catastrophe of 1927 and the Second World War unscathed and have been rebuilt.
A distinction is made between two types of half-timbered houses: the one-storey construction originally in the Emsland, which has wide posts in the side walls, and the Osnabrücker, as it appears in the "Hellmannschen Haus" in Burgstrasse. In addition to these half-timbered houses, brick buildings based on the Dutch model have appeared since the beginning of the 17th century. Despite numerous new buildings and renovations, they still determine the Lingen cityscape today.
July 28, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!