Mountain Biking Highlight
The name Unkel probably comes from the Latin (uncus = bow, hook) or from the Franconian (angel = bow, curvature). Since the Rhine makes a large arc at Unkel, first the whole area to the right and left of the Rheinbogen was called uncus. Later, the adjacent settlements Unkel and Unkelbach were so called.Franconian grave goods from the 7th century, which were discovered in Unkel in 1900 and 1923, prove that Unkel was already settled around 600 AD. The first written mention as Oncale in the Golden Book of Prüm Abbey took place on February 26, 886. 943 Unkel was last mentioned as Prümer possession.On the Stux (142 m), a prominent hill on the slope of the Rhine Valley above the city center, distortions of the sedimentary rocks are visible. In the Rhine are at the height of Unkel, but already on the left Remagener half, the Unkelsteine, a basalt digestion and in former times dangerous shoals for shipping. The rock formations Uncle also attracted the attention of Alexander von Humboldt. On his journey with the Dutch physician Steven Jan van Geuns in the fall of 1789 as well as with Georg Forster in March 1790, Humboldt visited Unkel. In the same year he published his observations, based on his then confession to the so-called Neptunism, d. H. the theory of the origin of rocks as sediments from water, in his first book (Mineralogical observations on some basalts on the Rhine).Reference and further information: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unkel
August 2, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!