Bike Touring Highlight
As early as 1272 the city of Sandau was allowed to operate a "free ferry" by the Ascanian margraves. Ferry justice remained a right of the city for centuries. In 1703 the ferry was leased for 37 thalers and 12 groschen per quarter. In the fierce fighting around Sandau at the end of the Second World War, the ferry received three direct hits. Since 1962 the ferry was operated again by the city of Sandau.
The ferry vehicle is 36 meters long and 10 meters wide. Up to twelve cars can be transported at the same time; the load capacity is 45 tons. The ferry is attached to a rope that is attached 500 meters further upstream. The current pushes the ship to the left or right, depending on the inclination of the ferry vehicle, so that the approximately 200-meter-wide Elbe can be negotiated without engine power. The ferry shuttles from Sandau on the right bank of the Elbe to the bank on the left bank of the Elbe. The next settlement on the left bank of the Elbe is Büttnershof. At high tide, the ferry is powered by a motor; the fares are then increased.
June 20, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!