Friedelhausen Palace (New Palace), about two hundred meters north and higher on the banks of the Lahn, was built by Baron Adalbert von Nordeck zur Rabenau (1817–1892) and his wife Clara, née Philipps (1826–1867) from 1852 onwards. It was inherited by her daughter Luise (1849-1906), who had married Count Karl von Schwerin from Schwerinsburg Castle in Western Pomerania in 1876. The estate, along with the Hofgut Appenborn and the two ancestral castles, Burg Nordeck and the Oberburg Rabenau, still belong to the Counts of Schwerin to this day.
The new palace, designed by the English architect John Dobson (1787–1865), is closely based on the English, neo-Gothic, Tudor Gothic style. It is a two-storey crenellated cubic building with a flat roof. The corners of the building are flanked by turrets. A type of dark basalt, the so-called lung stone, from Londorf was used as the building material for the late-Gothic building Doms is used.
April 13, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!