Located in a forest clearing at 1123 m on the slope of the Alpspitz, which can only be reached on foot, is lined in the style of the Baroque. The construction of the pilgrimage church dates back to 1658 here worshiped picture of grace Maria Plain, which is now in Maria Plain.
The pilgrimage to Mary has a painting of the Mother of God, found undamaged after a fire in 1633, as its origin. The baron Argula of Grimming, exchanged the sooty painting and set it up in her castle chapel. After her death, her son Rudolph von Grimming inherited the so-called "Maria-Trost-Bild", which erected it in 1652 on the Plainberg, which led to its worship. A copy of the picture was made, which remained on the Plainberg, while Rudolph von Grimming took the original picture to Einsiedeln. He liked the Allgäu landscape, whereupon he settled on the Wankerberg as Klausner. In 1658, because of the growing number of believers, a wooden shrine was erected, which was built over with a wooden chapel. One year later it was replaced by a brick chapel, a sacristy was added in 1659. These old parts represent today's choir. In 1662 the first Mass was read in the chapel. Out of grudges and interventions from other places of pilgrimage Rudolph von Grimming was expelled from the country in 1663, while the original image came into the care of the parish Nesselwang. From 1665 - 1676 it was in the episcopal ordinariate in Salzburg. The Prince Archbishop of Salzburg, Max Gandolf, who was in office from 1668, had then provided for the transfer to the new church to be built on Plain.
During the War of Spanish Succession, the visit of pilgrims to Maria Trost increased, as did the amount of donations. Therefore, from 1704 the church could be extended by the present-day nave, the consecration of the finished church in 1725 took Bishop Alexander Sigismund Palatine of Neuburg before. In a visitation protocol of 1740 is the miraculous Mother of God and the sanctuary on the high mountain the speech. The fortune at the time amounted to 5,500 guilders. Between 1759 and 1770 the interior was completed. The meanwhile increased fortune made this possible measures. In 1769 and 1770 the cultivation of the two-storey hermitage took place. To date, the pilgrimage church had to be renovated twice, without it being renovated in terms of construction. It is a listed building.
May 14, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!