Bike Touring Highlight
Moated castle Neuenheerse
In earlier centuries people believed, and still believe, that where water comes from the earth, it is a sacred place. In Neuenheerse springs the Nethequelle and therefore the third bishop of Paderborn, together with his sister Walburga here in the year 868 a ladies' pen built, which was already in 871 by Emperor Ludwig the German under the auspices of the Reich. Since then it is called Imperial Freewomanly noble lady pin Heerse. Based on this fact, Ottilie von Fürstenberg built the abbey building in 1599 with the same name.The former seat of the abbess is now the Heerse moated castle. After the abolition of the abbey in 1810, estates and buildings came into private hands. Also, the moated castle, whose assets are fed with water from the nearby flowing Nethe, is today - as the associated gatehouse - a carefully restored, well-kept property and holds the publicly accessible, extensive collection of the couple Honorary Consul General Manfred O. Schröder and Helga Schröder.In 18 years of work, they have built this institution with high personal and financial commitment and comprehensively renewed the buildings. On an area of 2,500 square meters, the visitor can expect an exciting exhibition of natural history, ethnology and local history topics. Already the design of the outdoor facilities suggests the variety of what the exhibitions inside have to offer. Deer, deer and cranes - works cast in bronze from the Golden Triangle (Myanmar-Laos-Thailand) - characterize moats and green spaces.
April 14, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!