Discover

Brenscheider Ölmühle

Brenscheider Ölmühle

Mountain Biking Highlight

Created by komoot users
Recommended by 130 out of 137 mountain bikers

Tips

  • Alex von Bühren

    Built in 1845, the oil mill was in operation for a total of only 78 years. At the turn of the century, the newly established oil factories grew into serious competition, with the result that the peasants increasingly took the oil directly from the merchant and the mill finally had to be shut down. During the First World War, however, it was once again put into operation: In the years since 1916, the farmers had increased rapeseed again, as war and bad harvests had led to famine. After the abolition of food rationing and the currency reform of 1923, the oil mill was finally shut down and began to disintegrate.The Hagener Wilhelm Claas was the first to call attention to this condition. As a lecturer in the Staatsbauschule he worked on food and had the mill inspected and measured. His report was the occasion for the first restoration work to be carried out on private initiative in the 1950s. The measures were supported by the Hohenlimburger industry and the circle Altena, in whose possession the oil mill 1958 arrived. Since 1982, the mill is a listed building and was completely renovated in the course of the 1980s with the help of the community Nachrodt-Wiblingwerde and the Märkischer Kreis.

    translated byView Original
    • July 22, 2017

  • philippgausw

    A blending of the oil and the grain mill is worthwhile.
    At the grain mill is a good restaurant, here are fresh trout from the own pond.
    There is also bread to buy, but you should probably pre-order dan. Is almost always sold out!

    translated byView Original
    • August 24, 2017

  • Alex von Bühren

    The task of the oil mill was to process oilseed rape to oil, which served both as a food supplement and as a light source. The oilseed rape initially arrived in the so-called 'pug mill', a round wooden basin in which two vertical millstones ran and crushed the rapeseed into porridge. This mash was heated in a pan standing on a cannon oven, filled into linen bags and placed in the oil press, i. between two boards inside a hollowed out tree trunk. On the outside of each board wedges were set, on the two heavy wooden blocks - the so-called 'stampers' - alternately hit down. As a result, a high pressure was generated and squeezed out the oil. It leaked through a small hole in the ground and was collected in a container. Both the pug mill and the rammer were driven by an overshot waterwheel.Built in 1845, the oil mill was in operation for a total of only 78 years. At the turn of the century, the newly established oil factories grew into serious competition, with the result that the peasants increasingly took the oil directly from the merchant and the mill finally had to be shut down. During the First World War, however, it was once again put into operation: In the years since 1916, the farmers had increased rape again, as war and bad harvests had led to famine. After the abolition of food rationing and the currency reform of 1923, the oil mill was finally shut down and began to disintegrate.The Hagener Wilhelm Claas was the first to call attention to this condition. As a lecturer in the Staatsbauschule he worked on food and had the mill inspected and measured. His report prompted the first restoration work to be carried out on private initiative in the 1950s. The measures were supported by the Hohenlimburger industry and the circle Altena, in whose possession the oil mill 1958 arrived. Since 1982, the mill is a listed building and was completely renovated in the course of the 1980s with the help of the community Nachrodt-Wiblingwerde and the Märkischer Kreis.For some years, volunteer bakers have brought the old bakery in the neighboring grain mill to life. They organize from May to October on every 1st Saturday of the month from 6 o'clock baking days. If you want to get one of the popular breads, you should get up early; Pre-orders are not possible. Back demonstrations and visit of the grain mill, Tel .: (02352) 29 04Around the mills five scenic - suitable for teaching lessons - themed hiking trails are offered: * trout path (20 min.) * Eulenweg (60 min.) * Wildschweinweg (90 min.) * Fuchsweg (120 min.) * Genießerweg (day trips with refueling recommendations)External inspection at any time, guided tours can be booked via Ms. Anni Rehnert, Tel. 02352 1438.The oil mill is owned by the Märkischer Kreis.

    translated byView Original
    • July 22, 2017

  • Alex von Bühren

    The oil mill, a single-storey construction made of quarry stone masonry, is located in the upper Nahmertal south of Hagen-Hohenlimburg at the confluence of the Brenscheider creek in the Nahmerbach. It was built in 1845 by Johann Diedrich vom Hagen, who six years earlier had also bought the nearby grain mill. At that time, rape was still being cultivated by farmers in larger quantities.

    translated byView Original
    • July 22, 2017

  • Alex von Bühren

    The task of the oil mill was to process oilseed rape to oil, which served both as a food supplement and as a light source. The oilseed rape initially arrived in the so-called 'pug mill', a round wooden basin in which two vertical millstones ran and crushed the rapeseed into porridge. This mash was heated in a pan standing on a cannon oven, filled into linen bags and placed in the oil press, i. between two boards inside a hollowed out tree trunk. On the outside of each board wedges were set, on the two heavy wooden blocks - the so-called 'stampers' - alternately hit down. As a result, a high pressure was generated and squeezed out the oil. It leaked through a small hole in the ground and was collected in a container. Both the pug mill and the rammer were driven by an overshot waterwheel.

    translated byView Original
    • July 22, 2017

  • 🌲🅹︎🅴︎🅽︎🆂︎🌲

    The mill is a piece of home, because umpteen tours by bike or hiking lead me past it. Here you can read old history and get an idea of the old activities.

    translated byView Original
    • June 10, 2020

  • Thomas

    Bergabtrail super langer. Mega!

    translated byView Original
    • September 25, 2020

  • Seba

    Very nice for cycling and walking

    translated byView Original
    • September 30, 2020

  • PeterStar

    Located in a beautiful valley

    translated byView Original
    • January 6, 2021

  • 🅼︎🅾︎🅽︎🅳︎🆁︎🅰︎🅺︎🅴︎🆁︎🇷 🇷 

    Brennscheider Mühle adventure world, very nice

    translated byView Original
    • June 10, 2021

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Mountain Biking Routes to Brenscheider Ölmühle

loading

Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Learn More
loading
Location: Nachrodt-Wiblingwerde, Märkischer Kreis, Arnsberg District, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Information

  • Elevation320 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Nachrodt-Wiblingwerde

loading
Discover

Brenscheider Ölmühle