Mountain Biking Highlight
The tower castle was inhabited from the 10th to the 11th century by the abbots of the monastery Kempten and by an unknown knight sex. The castle was first mentioned in 1400 in the possession of Walter von Königsegg to Wartenstein with the pledge to the knight Heinrich von Nauns. In 1405, the castle was redeemed and sold to the Kempten Abbey, the prince-abbot Friedrich von Laubenberg, which was confirmed in 1436 by the supreme feudal lord Emperor Sigmund.
From the 17th century, the castle fell into decay, at the end of the 19th century still a partially preserved four-storey tower ruin, which lost around 1950 when installing a reservoir three walls. Around 1970, the moats were filled. In 2007, the municipality of Betzigau carried out refurbishment work as part of the Leader Plus castle project "Burgenregion Allgäu".
From the former castle on a base 28 wide and five meters high castle hill with main castle and a northern outer bailey, both enclosed by moats, only about four meters high wall remains of the square residential tower are preserved. The various remains of the tower walls indicate the time around 1300. The neighboring farm is located on the former farmyard of the outer bailey. The Burgplatz is today a Bodendenkmal.
August 27, 2018
Directly at Weiler Schönberg is the castle ruin Schönberg. Unfortunately, little more than a half-ruined stone wall and a sign of the building testifies.The way leads past in approx. 10 m distance. Unfortunately, access is temporarily blocked by a pasture fence.More information about the castle ruins under de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Sch%C3%B6neberg_%28Betzigau%29
July 16, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.