The ruins of the summit castle stand on the extinct volcano of the same name, Vetzberg. The upper castle of the hilltop castle with the keep was probably built in the first half of the 12th century. It was first mentioned in a document in 1150. In 1226 it was announced as Vogtisberg. This designation, from which the current name is derived, means that the castle was a second castle of the Counts of Gleiberg and was occupied by their bailiffs. From the middle of the 13th century, the facility was expanded by building the lower castle.
December 19, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.