The Waldheide is a 50-acre clearing in the Heilbronn city forest. The site was set up in 1883 as a parade ground and occupied from 1951 by the US armed forces, which expanded the forest heath from 1974 to a base for nuclear-equipped medium-range missiles of the type Pershing IA. The NATO double decree Pershing IA were replaced in 1984 by missiles of the type Pershing II.
In 1985, on the also called Fort Redleg said facility due to the explosion of a rocket stage an accident with three fatalities. This incident provided the impetus for a public debate in the Federal Republic of Germany on the dangers of the Pershing system and gave the peace movement a great boost.
As a result of the 1987 INF Treaty, the US Army withdrew until 1991. The area was renatured until 1997 and today is a recreational area for the Heilbronn population.
The Waldheide is located on the eaves of the Heilbronner mountains on the reed sandstone banks of the Keuperstufe. Since the reed sandstone is relatively resistant to weathering, it formed a level. On the lime-free, nutrient-poor weathering soil emerged after deforestation an exceptional heath landscape.
In 1994, a 4.5-acre area in the north, which had remained unsealed during US Army usage, retaining the original soil structure, was designated as an Areal Natural Monument. To keep the landscape open, this area is grazed by sheep three to four times a year.
Installation with map and timetable at the car park Bei den drei Linden (Oct. 2012)
May 15, 2018
The Waldheide is a clearing of around 50 hectares in the Heilbronn city forest. The area was set up as a parade ground from 1883 and occupied by the US armed forces from 1951, who expanded the Waldheide from 1974 into a base for nuclear-armed medium-range missiles.
In 1985 an accident with three fatalities occurred at the facility, also known as Fort Redleg, due to the explosion of a rocket stage. This incident sparked a public debate in the Federal Republic of Germany about the dangers of the Pershing system and gave the peace movement a broad boost.
As a result of the 1987 INF Treaty, the US Army withdrew by 1991. The area was renatured by 1997 and is now a recreational area for the Heilbronn population.
The most valuable part in terms of nature conservation in the north of the Waldheide was designated a natural monument in 1994 with a size of 4.5 hectares. Even larger, contiguous areas with heather vegetation have been preserved here.
August 9, 2020
An absolutely suitable place for the installation of an apiary, especially such a large apiary. With so many wild flowers around the house and on the entire forest heather, so many bee colonies always find enough food. The honey that is collected here definitely tastes particularly good.
August 17, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.