The domain Les Epioux (1712 ha) owes its existence entirely to the metal industry that flourished here between about 1550 and 1850. The Château de Epioux was built in 1650 for the owners of the blast furnaces. It was restored in 1730, and under Louis Zoude the tower was raised in 1878.
In the middle of this domain, large lakes were dug that stretch to the north and east of the valley of the Semois, in order to supply the necessary hydraulic energy for the intensive iron and steel industry. The castle housed Prince Pierre Bonaparte, Napoleon's nephew, from 1862 to 1871.
The domain Les Epioux, with its extensive forests, today belongs to the CPAS of Mons and is leased to the province of Luxembourg by long-term lease. The austere and typically Ardennes château de Epioux was used by the University of Gembloux, which set up a research center there. Today the dilapidated castle stands without a destination, the domain is managed by the Nature and Forest Department of the Walloon Region. You can not visit the castle but beautiful walks in the area. (source burchtenenkastelen.be
August 12, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!