Historically, a lot has already been told here about the Schaiblingsturm.Therefore only briefly: I think, a very nice photo motive! Benches in the vicinity invite you to linger and in the city wall behind it you can discover more interesting photo opportunities; even or especially for children, these discoveries are very exciting.
August 31, 2018
The Schaiblingsturm is one of Passau's landmarks. It stands on the south side of Passau's old town near the top of the village on a rock rising on the Innkai from the Inn. Of the conical shape of the Turmgemäuer is probably his name derivable: disc - Schaibling. The round tower with the high pointed helmet is a witness of the medieval town fortification of Passau.The tower is now owned by the city of Passau, the key power has the director of the Leopoldinum.The Schaiblingsturm was built around 1250 as a bulwark against attacks into the Inn. He is a dumb witness from the time when Passau was an important trading center. Another important feature of the tower was the protection against the waves of the Inn for the arriving inland ships. In 1481 the tower was renovated. According to city chronicle trees were felled for the cone roof chair, which today is one of the few medieval roofs not destroyed by the city fires. The document then called the "Scheibling Yhnn Thurn and Stadl". Rueland Frueauf the Elder painted a mural on behalf of the Schifferzeche on the river side in 1481, which Christophorus and Nicholas, the patron saint of skippers, showed. It was restored in 1921, but then weathered very badly.The tower also served as a storage for powder and during the salt trade, the Inn ships, the so-called "Hallaschen", docked here. Immediately before the tower downstream was a cable ferry to the Innstadt until 1957. He also housed security guards and was spared the city fires. After the secularization, it served as a warehouse and at times as an event building.In the last century, the Hitler Youth resided in the tower from 1935. In 1946, Albert Hehn (the father of Sascha Hehn) moved there, who was then involved in the Kammerspiele Passau. In the 20th century, the tower is said to have been temporarily inhabited by artists and editors. The idea of using it as a homeless shelter could not prevail in the past.In 1970, the tower was given to the upper class of the Gymnasium Leopoldinum and since then has been used up to 20 times a year for reading nights, seminar events, student council meetings and sometimes also for lessons.
December 29, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!