The collegiate church of St. Mary Magdalene in the district of Flaesheim was part of a monastery.
In the heyday, more than 100 farms and goods belonged to Dortmund and Hagen, locals report today by tradition.
The church was founded in 1166 by Count Otto von Ravensberg as a Premonstratensian Nuns Monastery. In 1550 it became a secular temple for the ladies after the unrest culminated throughout the Reformation, the Flaesheim nuns no longer accepted their abbot and the archbishop approved new statutes in 1558.
The monastery was still used during the 18th century as a supply institute for unmarried ladies of the surrounding nobility.
The abbey buildings were destroyed in 1790.
Only the west tower is certainly from the early days.
When Napoleon occupied the Rhineland in 1803, the ownership of the monastery went to the Duke of Ahrenberg.
October 5, 2016
Old collegiate church from the year 1166.
Located in the center of the old village center, nearby there are several old half-timbered houses, including the old fisherman's house and the bus stop (Stiftsplatz) and a small parking lot.
Every two years, an Advent market takes place here.
November 29, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.