The named after Léonçe Könneritz Könneritzbrücke connects in the course of Ernst-Mey-Straße, the Leipzig districts Plagwitz and Schleußig. The bridge spans the Weiße Elster.
The Könneritzbrücke was built in 1869 as a wooden bridge for the connection to the industrially up-and-coming Plagwitz. For this purpose, the material of the wooden bridge, built in 1858, was used instead of the present Plagwitzer bridge. In 1899, the wooden bridge, which in the meantime no longer complied with the requirements, was replaced by what was then a state-of-the-art iron construction in its present form. The Könneritz bridge is today under protection as a technical monument and, with its eye-catching truss girder and arch structure made of riveted iron girders, forms an exceptionally striking image.
Source: Wikipedia de.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6nneritzbr%C3%BCcke
August 17, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!