The Muldenberg dam was built by the Free State of Saxony in Grünbach-Muldenberg between 1920 and 1925 and was intended to counteract the scarcity of drinking water. Around 100,000 people are supplied with drinking water. It also serves to protect against floods. The dam wall was repaired between 2001 and 2007. The top of the wall has also been open to the public since 2008 and is now a popular excursion destination.
March 9, 2018
The dam in Muldenberg provides drinking water in the region and at the same time provides flood protection. The Rote Mulde, the White Mulde and the Saubach are dammed in it.
It was built between 1920 and 1925. The dam has the longest quarry stone dam of Saxony's dams. It is 525m long, of which 476m are visible. It measures 25m at its highest point, at the base it is up to 17m wide. After the Second World War, German prisoners of war had to sink ammunition in the dam, with a tragic accident on May 15, 1945. The dam was very badly damaged, 12 people died in the explusion. There is a burial site for them at the parking lot near the dam. Information boards between the dam and the railway line explain the technology and history of the dam.
March 28, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.