The church was built around the year 1300, possibly first as a chapel. From this time comes the retracted rectangular choir. The three-aisled nave is believed to have been built around the year 1400. The nave is over the side of the aisles. On the west side is the mid-15th century on a square floor plan resulting church tower. At the same time, a chapel was built, which extended the southern aisle to the east.1554, the first Protestant pastor of the church, Laurentius Krintze, was killed in the church cemetery. The atonement of Gingst, which was later reconstructed into a tombstone for the spouses of the East, recalls this event and is located behind the choir to the east of the church.In a major fire in Gingst in 1726, the church was damaged. The choir and ship had to be redone, the eastern gable had to be replaced by Walme. The tower received its curly hood. The stucco ceilings of the nave and choir were also made after 1726. The aisles have a ribbed vault. With the exception of the north portal, the portals of the church on the south side and the tower were redecorated baroque.A renovation of the northern sacristy took place in 1816. At the tower, there are friezes between the four storeys. The sound openings on the top floor are designed as pointed arches.On the south wall there are two sundials, one on a large whitewashed area and a second of medieval times. The latter is not easily recognizable in the form of scribed lines on a brick below the left edge of the eastern window.
July 18, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!