Mountain Biking Highlight
The Fuelbecketalsperre was built in Altenaer district Altroggenrahmede by a water cooperative. Already in 1883 a committee for the construction of a dam in the Fuelbecke was formed, but the power plant operators could not agree. This made possible a Royal Decree of December 30, 1891, which provided for the formation of public water cooperatives for industrial purposes. The cooperative formed on 6 October 1893. Planner and site manager of the dam was Prof. Intze from Aachen. At the end of October 1893 construction began. The final stone was laid on May 22, 1897. The Fuelbecketalsperre and the Heilenbecke dam were the first two dams in the catchment area of the Ruhr. In the middle of October 1907, a newly built filter plant of the Altenaer waterworks was commissioned at the Fuelbecke dam.
Dammed is the stream Fuelbecke, which flows like the cuckoo creek into the eastern arm of the dam and after its exit becomes a tributary of the Rahmede. The Riethahn brook flows into the western dam arm. With a storage area of 0.7 million m³, the dam is the smallest dam after the Callerbachtalsperre in the Märkischer Kreis. The barrier wall was designed with a sole width of up to 16 m, a crown width of about 3.50 m, a height of up to 30 m and a crown length of 145 m. The gravity dam made of quarry stone, which was built according to the Intze principle, was refurbished in 1990 with a superior sealing wall and got a control passage.
June 7, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!