further information at: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kump_(Brunnen)
The Kump on the market square in Butzbach, Hesse, was built in 1575. It was the only well in the city whose water flowed continuously, and was fed by a water pipe, which was probably fed by several springs located to the west or northwest above the city and small watercourses flowing there. After the Thirty Years War the Kump was so dilapidated that a new one had to be built. This remained the focal point of the market square until it was removed as a traffic obstacle in 1894 and replaced by a low basin with a lattice fence; only the column remained. A fundraising campaign by the local history association financed the restoration of the old well in 1927. In 1987 the fountain basin was largely renewed and the fountain figure restored.
June 3, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.