The double summit of Hohenstoffeln impressively shapes the landscape of the Hegau. The southern summit is 832m high, the northern 844m.
The ascent to the Hohenstoffeln can best be done from Hombollhof above Weiterdingens. Another beautiful path leads up from the small hamlet Hofwiesen.
On the Hohenstoffeln are today only the remains of three castle ruins. The largest castle (Hinterstoffeln) was once on the north summit, the castle Vorderstoffeln on the southern summit, and the castle Mittelstoffeln in the saddle of the mountain.
The Hinterstoffeln castle was probably built around the year 1100 by Hegaugrafen Ludwig von Pfullendorf-Ramsberg to Stoffeln on the highest point of the northern summit. The two other castles were later built.
All three castles were first mentioned in 1299. On each of the three castles could live a family. Back and middle cloths were connected to frontal cloths by a wall, on which there were stables and scouring.
All three castles had a common entrance, which was also in the wall. Cistern systems and outlying wells ensured the water supply of the three castles.
Like the castle of the Hohenhewens, the castles of the Hohenstoffeln were destroyed during the Thirty Years' War. The peasants of the area had to drag the remains of the castles in the following, so that today only a few remains of the once proud castles are left.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the mining of basalt began at the northern summit for the use of gravel in road construction. Since 1939, the mountain has been protected, which fortunately prevented further mining.
April 21, 2017
Very demanding ascent from the direction of Hohenhewen. Over an ascending meadow, it turns into a partly very steep forest. If the path is damp, the ascent becomes even more difficult. From the ridge to the summit, it's flatter to the summit. There you will be rewarded with a wonderful view
May 9, 2021
basalt miningQuarry tracks under the summit of the HohenstoffelnThe geomorphological and geological structure of Hohenstoffeln consists of ceiling joints with pre-basaltic tuff masses. At the summit, thick, vertical basalt columns are visible.Since the beginning of the 20th century basalt was mined for road construction on the northern summit, because the rock is tough and hard and without preferential cleavage, so it does not weather so quickly. About four kilometers long cable car, the broken rock was transported to the gravel plant in Mühlhausen.The local poet Ludwig Finckh came for the stop of basalt mining, in fact, this was discontinued in 1939. The former quarry can still be identified by means of mining breeds. Source: Wikipedia
October 4, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!