This former Benedictine monastery has a wild history of destruction and rebuilding. It was largely destroyed in the War of 1525, the Count of Rieneck built it as a residential castle again. The castle was taken over by the church after the death of the last Count and dismantled by hordes of pillage farmers during the secularization of Franconia in the 19th century.
May 26, 2016
Schönrain am Main was founded around 1080 as a Benedictine monastery, partially destroyed in the German Peasants' War in 1525 and rebuilt as a residential palace by the Counts of Rieneck. After the death of the last countess (1574), Schönrain served as a fief for the bishopric of Würzburg until the beginning of the 19th century as a home for the forest administrators. After Napoleon's victory over Austria, the end of the Holy Roman Empire of the German nation and the associated connection of the Franconian areas to the newly created Kingdom of Bavaria (1806), Schönrain was not spared from secularization.
The ruins are traversed by the Schönraintunnel, located above the Main and opposite Neuendorf on the southwestern end of the district of the city of Gemünden am Main, in the Lower Franconian district of Main-Spessart in Bavaria. The Franconian Marienweg runs right by the ruins.
December 12, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!