Burg Are

Hiking Highlight

Recommended by 294 out of 324 hikers

Tips

  • Jo

    Very nice panoramic view on the top. Especially on a sunny autumn day when the foliage has already changed color.
    Breathtaking!

    translated byView Original
    • October 17, 2017

  • Jo

    A short climb that's worth it.
    From the castle ruins you have a great view of Altenahr, the Ahr valley and the surrounding area.

    translated byView Original
    • January 1, 2018

  • Jo

    The climb to Are Castle is rewarded with a great view of Altenahr and the Ahr valley.
    A "must" when visiting Altenahr!

    translated byView Original
    • February 7, 2018

  • Silvia

    The castle Are is the ruin of a mountain castle at 240 m above sea level. NHN above the community Altenahr in Rhineland-Palatinate. It was built around 1100 by Count Dietrich I of Are and first documented in 1121.

    translated byView Original
    • January 10, 2018

  • Mike 🇪🇺

    Very nice place. Just enjoy the view and the few meters are already forgotten.

    translated byView Original
    • February 14, 2018

  • Kay

    Nice view with knight flair

    translated byView Original
    • November 29, 2017

  • Mike 🇪🇺

    An ascent of getting paid. The view from the castle over the Ahr valley is just great.

    translated byView Original
    • February 7, 2018

  • Mike 🇪🇺

    From here you have a beautiful view of the Devil's Hole. It is fantastic when the suns are behind the mountain and only the Teufelsloch shines.

    translated byView Original
    • February 15, 2018

  • Jan

    The climb is worth a nice view around the Ahr valley

    translated byView Original
    • July 1, 2018

  • Jens

    Very nice castle ruins. It's worth it.

    translated byView Original
    • May 20, 2018

  • Köppi

    Historic castle from the 11th century.

    translated byView Original
    • June 11, 2018

  • Stephan N

    Beautifully situated castle ruins above the village Altenahr.
    From the castle you have a nice view of the Altenahr and
    the Ahr valley.
    Absolutely worth seeing!

    translated byView Original
    • August 17, 2019

  • Kay

    Worthwhile view up here

    translated byView Original
    • November 29, 2017

  • Mike 🇪🇺

    A great view of the valley and Altenahr. Even a tour through the old walls is already an experience.

    translated byView Original
    • February 14, 2018

  • Peter_H_65 🐻

    The castle Are is the listed ruin of a hilltop castle at 240 m above sea level. NHN above the town of Altenahr in Rhineland-Palatinate. It was built from 1095 to 1105 by Count Dietrich I of Are and first documented in 1121.
    altenahr-ahr.de/de/burgare

    translated byView Original
    • September 1, 2019

  • Christiane

    Beautiful castle with beautiful views in the countryside

    translated byView Original
    • July 20, 2018

  • Stephan N

    In 1246 Count Friedrich von Hochstaden, provost of Xanten, donated the county with the castles Are, Hardt and Hochstaden to the archbishopric of Cologne with the consent of his brother Conrad of Are-Hochstaden. The extension buildings with extensive defensive wall were built in the Kurkölnischer time during the 14th and 15th century to protect the Kurkölnischen possessions in the Ahrgebiet. In the 16th and 17th centuries, there were only minor changes in the building fabric through repairs and replacement buildings. At times, the castle also served as a prison in which the archbishops of Cologne had imprisoned unwelcome opponents in order to make them docile. For a long time Burg Are was a spiritual and cultural center for the whole area.

    The archbishops of Cologne pledged the castle Are more frequently with the office Altenahr. The pledgees were each used as stewards and often lived in the castle. For long periods of time, the structural condition of the castle complex was poor, as the pledgees could not carry out the necessary repairs. An exception with a structurally very good condition was the time of Heinrich von der Horst, who died in 1625.
    1690, the castle was conquered for the first time after nine months of siege by French troops. The shelling had severely damaged the castle. 1697 withdrew the French, occupy the castle but from 1701 onwards Spanish War of Succession again. In 1706, the troops took over the castle and made the area unsafe. For this reason, Elector Joseph Clemens of Bavaria in 1714 blew up the walls in agreement with the villagers. Since then, the castle is a ruin. Still recyclable materials, such as wood and stones, served as building material for the new construction of the Amtshaus at the foot of the castle hill.
    Source:
    de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Are

    translated byView Original
    • August 17, 2019

  • Mike 🇪🇺

    Great view to the distant castle Kreuzberg. Depending on the light ratio a great thing.

    translated byView Original
    • February 15, 2018

  • Ela Ado

    The view is definitely worth it

    translated byView Original
    • April 8, 2018

  • Peter_H_65 🐻

    "The devil once sought out the valley of the Ahr and found so much favor of the land and its people, but above all of the excellent red wine, that he forgot his return home." One day approached him as he rested on the mountain opposite the Are Are his grandmother in the form of a beautiful maiden, she quickly turned back to the disgusting old man who was all too well known to him, and he savagely seized her grandmother and hurled her back down the cliff to hell The devil's hole was created, which can still be seen above Altenahr. "

    translated byView Original
    • April 16, 2018

  • Peter_H_65 🐻

    de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_AreOn steep rock
    The castle stands on the rock-jagged height of a mountain whose east and south sides rise steeply. The ancestral seat of the Counts of Are, built in the first half of the twelfth century by Theoderic of Are, was in the 13th century in the possession of the Cordlans and underwent many extensions in the 14th and 15th centuries.
    Bergfried served as a prison
    The no longer existing keep served at times as a dungeon for "high prisoners" of the church, Cologne patrician, for example, who had resisted the power aspirations of their archbishop. In 1690, the castle withstood the French troops for nine months until they could destroy and take them.
    Troops nested
    In the ruins nestled Kurkölnische troops, which unsettled the area. Therefore, Elector Joseph Clemens blew up the walls in 1714 in agreement with the villagers. The ruins became a symbol of the romantic Ahr in the 19th century.
    Floor plan in the form of a quadrilateral
    The floor plan of the Höhenburg is a quadrangle. On the south side the old gate tower, next to the palace. On the sharp rocky outcrop in the northern corner was probably the oldest keep; north of it extensive remains of the castle chapel of 12./13. Century.
    Chapel the real treasure of the castle complex
    Among art historians, the chapel, built in Romanesque style, is regarded as the greatest treasure of the former castle complex. The sacred building, built in the smallest of spaces, had three naves - a special feature for castle chapels in the Rhineland from this period. In addition, it was probably a double chapel, so a building with a basement for the common people and an upper floor, from which the gentlemen looked into the sanctuary.
    Refurbishment saved the plant from deterioration
    After two and a half years of renovation, estimated to cost more than nine million euros, the castle was saved from decay in 1999 and reopened to the public. Because of its worldwide cultural and historical importance, the castle was placed in the same year under the protection of the Hague Convention."Crowning view"
    The steep, but short ascent crowns a beautiful panoramic view of Altenahr and the surrounding vineyards.

    translated byView Original
    • April 16, 2018

  • Jan

    Nice ruin with many preserved parts.

    translated byView Original
    • January 6, 2019

  • Peter_H_65 🐻

    Auf steilem Fels
    Die Burg Are steht auf der felsenzerklüfteten Höhe eines Berges, dessen Ost- und Südseite steil aufsteigen. Stammsitz der Grafen von Are, wurde sie in der ersten Hälfte des 12. Jahrhunderts von Theoderich von Are erbaut, kam im 13. Jahrhundert in kurkölnischen Besitz und erfuhr im 14. und 15. Jahrhundert noch viele Ausbauten.
    Bergfried diente als Gefängnis
    Der nicht mehr vorhandene Bergfried diente zeitweise als Kerker für "hohe Gefangene" der Kirche, Kölner Patrizier etwa, die sich den Machtbestrebungen ihres Erzbischofs widersetzt hatten. Im Jahre 1690 hielt die Burg den französischen Truppen neun Monate lang stand, bis diese sie zerstörten und einnehmen konnten.

    Truppen nisteten sich ein
    In den Ruinen nisteten sich kurkölnische Truppen ein, die die Gegend verunsicherten. Darum ließ Kurfürst Joseph Clemens die Mauern im Jahr 1714 im Einvernehmen mit den Dorfbewohnern sprengen. Die Ruinen wurden im 19. Jahrhundert zum Wahrzeichen der romantischen Ahr.

    Grundriss in Form eines Vierecks
    Der Grundriss der Höhenburg ist ein Viereck. An der Südseite der alte Torturm, daneben der Palast. Auf der spitzen Felskuppe in der Nordecke stand vermutlich der älteste Bergfried; nördlich davon umfangreiche Reste der Burgkapelle des 12./13. Jahrhunderts.
    Kapelle der eigentliche Schatz der Burganlage
    Unter Kunsthistorikern gilt die im romanischen Stil errichtete Kapelle als größter Schatz der einstigen Burganlage. Denn der auf kleinstem Raum errichtete Sakralbau war dreischiffig angelegt - für Burgkapellen im Rheinland aus dieser Zeit eine Besonderheit. Außerdem handelte es sich vermutlich um eine Doppelkapelle, also einen Bau mit einem Untergeschoss für das gewöhnliche Volk und einem Obergeschoss, von dem aus die Herrschaften in den Altarraum blickten.

    Sanierung rettete Anlage vor dem Verfall
    Nach zweieinhalbjähriger Sanierung, deren Kosten auf mehr als neun Millionen Euro geschätzt werden, wurde die Burg 1999 vor dem Verfall gerettet und der Öffentlichkeit wieder zugänglich gemacht. Wegen ihrer weltweiten kulturgeschichtlichen Bedeutung wurde die Burg im gleichen Jahr unter den Schutz der Haager Konvention gestellt.

    "Krönender Ausblick"
    Den steilen, aber kurzen Aufstieg krönt eine schöne Rundumsicht auf Altenahr und die den Ort umgebenden Weinberge.

    • January 9, 2019

  • joetobn

    In the former castle courtyard of the ruin there is a rest area. In front of the viewing pavilion you have a great 360 ° view over Altenahr, the NSG Langfigtal, the Teufelsloch and the steep rocks of the Ahr mountains ...

    translated byView Original
    • February 11, 2019


In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Burg Are

Location: Altenahr, Ahrweiler, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany

Information

  • Elevation200 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Altenahr