The mighty fortress Ehrenbreitstein was built at the beginning of the 19th century under Prussian leadership on the foundations of a blasted previous building. Due to the proximity to France Koblenz should be particularly secured and from the fortress, the entire shipping traffic on the Rhine and Moselle was monitored.
Until 1918 soldiers were stationed at the fortress, after which it became the property of the Land Rhineland-Palatinate. The fortress now houses a museum, various restaurants and a youth hostel. At the Federal Garden Show 2011, the freely accessible parade grounds were also redesigned.
The fortress has the following opening times:
April to October: 10am to 6pm
November to March: 10am to 5pm
7 € for adults
€ 4.50 for pupils and students
3,50 € for children
September 12, 2018
118 meters above the Rhine, the fortress offers what is probably the most fantastic view of Koblenz and the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle. The Ehrenbreitstein Fortress, the second largest surviving fortress in Europe, was built in its current form between 1817 and 1828. Its origin dates back to the year 1000. Today, in addition to the Koblenz State Museum with its diverse exhibitions (e.g. on the history of technology and archeology of the state, the history of the fortress with over 20 exciting stations, multimedia presentations and much more), the fortress also houses the army memorial and the Koblenz youth hostel.
August 16, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!