Road Cycling Highlight
The Martinuskirche in the FFM district of Schwanheim is named after the reformer Martin Luther and is a listed building. In 1880 there were around 90 ev. Schwanheimers, who belonged to Griesheim in church and had to take a boat across the Main for worship. In 1885, a chapel was built in response to the wish for a separate church. In 1910 the community had 1185 members, which is why a new church was planned. The new building was inaugurated in 1911. From then on the chapel was used as a kindergarten.
An explosion at the chemical plant in Griesheim in 1917 and bombing raids in 1943 destroyed the church windows. On June 6, 1954, the restored church and the restored bells were inaugurated. A new kindergarten was built in 1960 and the chapel was demolished in 1963. The parish hall was built in 1966 and the church was renovated in 1976 and 2004. The north-facing hall church is about 27m long and 14m wide. The building ensemble consists of the rectangular nave, the bell tower and the adjoining rectory together with the connecting structure. The church has typical design elements of Neo-Romanesque. 🚴♀️de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martinuskirche_(Frankfurt-Schwanheim)
March 29, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.