The fourteen stations of the cross on the way to the Frauenberg zu Eichstätt are almost a landmark of Eichstätt. The mountain bears its name after the highly revered image of Mary in the romantically situated pilgrimage church of the same name - a popular wedding chapel as well as a place to linger in peace.The stone wayside shrines built around 1855 in neo-Gothic style enclosed originally painted depictions of the Passion of Christ. It was not until 1875 that the weather-prone paintings were replaced by cast-iron station reliefs, which were made in a Regensburg art institute and can often be found in Bavaria.Source / more info:
October 8, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.