"Because of its high profile, it is now considered a landmark of the Hanseatic city of Lübeck.This late Gothic building is one of the remnants of the former Lübeck fortifications.It is next to the castle gate the only preserved city gate Lübeck.
In the years 1464-1478 the Holstentor was built by city master builder Hinrich Helmstede after Dutch models.
The building is a twin tower complex formed by two mighty towers, the South Tower and the North Tower. The Holstentor has a slate-roofed conical roof, the middle of which forms an intermediate tract in which the passage gate is located. Above the archway (city side) is the gilded inscription CONCORDIA DOMI FORIS PAX, which was placed in a slightly modified form only in 1843 by the former Vortor here. The character of the gothic building has changed fundamentally compared to the field side. It is very richly structured and lighter than the field side due to the horizontally layered aperture sequences. Above the passage you can read the dedication inscription: 1477 S.P.Q.L. 1871, which was first installed on the occasion of the completion of the restoration work in 1871. "Source: luebeck.de/tourismus/kultur/museen/holstentor
December 8, 2016
"The Obertrave, right next to the Holstentor, houses the Salzspeicher, built in the years between 1579 and 1745. They are a group of brick-style warehouses, located on the Lübeck Obertrave, right next to the Holstentor The store closest to the Holstentor is the property of the "Saline Oldesloe", which is indicated by a relief in the clinker of the façade.
Originally, the storage buildings were used to store salt from Lüneburg via the Alte Salzstraße and later via the Stecknitz Canal and from the saline Oldesloe and brought by barges on the Trave.
The salt stores
This salt was exported by Lübeck as the basis of its former wealth to all Scandinavia. The salt was primarily needed for the preservation of fish caught in Norway and Scania, thus enabling the herring trade as a fast food with the inland. The location on Lübeck 's oldest bridge, the so - called Holstentor bridge, marked the border between the seaport and inland port in the Middle Ages, with its connection to the Elbe through the Stecknitz canal.
The Lübecker salt stores were filming location for the film "Nosferatu - A symphony of horror" by Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau and served as a backdrop for the house, which the vampire rents. Today, the warehouses are used by a textile department store. "Source: luebeck.de/tourismus/sightseeing/sehenswuerdigkeiten/gebaeude/salzspeicher.html
November 25, 2016
The Lübeck Holsten Gate is probably the most famous city gate in Germany and the symbol of Lübeck. It was built between 1464 and 1478 by the Lübeck City Councilor Hinrich Helmstede during a modernization of the fortifications on the Traves side.
Source and further information: ostsee.de/luebeck/holstentor.html
December 23, 2018
The salt stores are reminiscent of the time of herring trade with southern Scandinavia. They originated in the years 1579 to 1745 not far from the Holsten Gate and located directly on the Trave. In front of it stood wooden houses of herring traders.
In the immediate vicinity, at the Holstenhafen, was the transition from inland to sea shipping. This made Lübeck the main hub for the coveted “white gold”. Here the salt from Oldesloe, but above all from the salt pans in Lüneburg, was sold on to dealers, who in turn sent it to the herring fishing areas, e.g. B. brought to Falsterbo in Skåne or Norway. There the herring was salted for preservation in barrels, which in turn were shipped to Lübeck on a large scale and sold further inland. The salt and herring trade has contributed significantly to the wealth of the Hanseatic city.
The six preserved brick salt storehouses were built at the end of the 16th and in the middle of the 18th century in place of the herring packing houses that used to be there. As the name suggests, they served to store salt, which was mainly transported from the Saline Lüneburg via the Stecknitz Canal, which was completed in 1398, or via the Trave from the Saline in Oldesloe to Lübeck. Later they were also used for storing other merchandise such as cloth or grain.
December 6, 2019
An impressive building ensemble welcomes visitors right next to the Holstentor. Conveniently located at a time when there were no railways and trucks, the salt from Lüneburg was shipped via the old Stecknitz canal to Lübeck and from there to the entire Baltic Sea region.
December 26, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.