The Varusturm is a 21 m high, built as a reinforced concrete construction observation tower on the Lammersbrink on the southern outskirts of Georgsmarienhütte in Lower Saxony.The watchtower was built in 1975 by the then company Möller on behalf of the city Georgsmarienhütte. The new tower thus replaced the built in the same place in 1892 by the then Georgsmarien-Verein AG observation tower, which, however, had to be blown up again in August 1935 due to dilapidated. The Varusturm was named after the Roman army commander Varus, who in 9 AD in the battle of the Teutoburg Forest led his troops in the area of the Teutoburg Forest against the Germanic general Arminius (Hermann) into a devastating defeat.
June 24, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!