- 02:238.91 mi3.7 mph1,550 ft1,550 ft
Seusslitz is a district of Diesbar-Seusslitz in the municipality of Nünchritz in the district of Meißen in Saxony, which is best known for the Baroque Seusslitz Castle.
The place is in the Elbe valley at the exit of the Seusslitzer Grund. The place is traversed by the Bockau, which flows into the Elbe in Seusslitz.
about 4 hours ago
- 02:258.86 mi3.7 mph1,850 ft1,825 ft
Loschwitz was first mentioned in a document on October 18, 1227 in a Latin document from Bishop Bruno II of Meissen, when he transferred Luzcwiz and Reppnitz, further downstream, to the Meissen cathedral chapter. The current spelling of the place name is documented for the year 1571.
Since the 18th century, the Loschwitz vineyards increasingly attracted wealthy aristocrats, Dresden city celebrities and artists who built their wineries and summer houses here. The established winemakers sold their property and increasingly worked as contract winemakers. In 1805 the wealthy English Earl James Ogilvy bought several vineyards on the Elbe slope on the site of today's Elbe castles (Albrechtsberg Castle, Lingner Castle, Eckberg Castle) through his secretary Johann Georg Christian Fischer. The vineyards were used as an opportunity to raise the vine with Joshua and Caleb as the coat of arms of the Loschwitz district. Today the coat of arms can only be seen on the outer facade of the Hotel Villa Loschwitz.
In 1863, the United Saxon-Bohemian Steamship Service decided to build a winter port below Loschwitz. In the course of the state-run regulation of the Elbe, the Loschwitz port was built by 1867.
2 days ago
- 01:166.21 mi4.9 mph2,175 ft2,150 ft
City of Wehlen
In 1269 Wehlen was first mentioned as Wylin. The settlement was created under the protection of a castle, which Henry the Illustrious received from the Bohemian King Wenceslaus in 1245. Wehlen was mentioned as a city (civitas) as early as 1346. The castle has not been inhabited since 1543, so it gradually fell into disrepair.
The inhabitants lived from shipbuilding, handicrafts and quarrying. As early as 1547, Wehlen was referred to as an “official town”, so that the manorial rule was not exercised by a manor but by an office, initially Lohmen, later Hohnstein.
On July 31, 1848 the railway reached Wehlen (Pötzscha). Tourism began to develop since the Romantic era. In 1860 there were 48 guides.
Village of Wehlen
is known for the miniature park Little Saxon Switzerland (Saxon Switzerland in miniature),
St. Michaelis Church with historic organ by Christian Gottfried Herbrig and Son from 1831. The organ builders also created the wooden pulpit altar for this church.
7 days ago
- 02:4210.3 mi3.8 mph850 ft875 ft
Proschwitz Castle is a neo-baroque style castle in the Meißner district of Proschwitz in the district of Meißen. Affiliated to it is Saxony's oldest still existing private winery in Zadel.
The Proschwitz vineyards were owned by the Meißner bishops from the middle of the 12th century until the Reformation. A large part of the mass wines required in Saxony came from the Proschwitz winery during this time.The first documentary mention of a knight Eckbert von Proschwitz was in a document from 1102. The place name Proschwitz indicates an early Slavic settlement. Until the Reformation and the subsequent secularization of most ecclesiastical goods, Proschwitz was an episcopal table good for the Meissen Monastery.
Proschwitz Castle, fireplace roomFrom 1554 the property was owned by Ernst von Miltitz. This also included the Nassau Vorwerk. After the castle was destroyed in the Thirty Years' War, Peter Werdemann acquired the property in 1657 together with the patronage rights for Zscheila. The start of construction on the baroque palace can be traced back to the von Schilling family, who acquired the property in 1704. The widowed Countess Magdalena von Beichlingen, née von Miltitz, bought it in 1732 and built a simple L-shaped baroque palace. After the Countess's death, the property first passed into the possession of her second daughter, the Countess von Gersdorff. In 1790 the Saxon court marshal and baron Carl Friedrich von Berlepsch acquired the castle. It then passed to the von Carlowitz family by inheritance.In the period from 1882 to 1888, Proschwitz Castle was extended to the west by adding a residential wing. In 1901 the wedding of Imperial Count Clemens zur Lippe-Biesterfeld-Weißenfeld with Friederike Freiin von Carlowitz took place at the castle. From 1914 the castle was restored by Clemens Reichsgraf zur Lippe-Biesterfeld-Weißenfeld under the leadership of the architectural office Lossow & Kühne. After the death of Princess Friederike zur Lippe-Weißenfeld, the palace was confiscated by the NSDAP in 1943. Later children from bomb-prone regions of Germany were housed in the castle.
Ballroom in Proschwitz Castle (former castle chapel)
Proschwitz Castle, servants' house.
Shortly after the end of the Second World War, Christian Prinz zur Lippe, the son of Clemens and Friederike, was expropriated without compensation as part of the land reform, imprisoned with his family and finally expelled to the western occupation zones. The castle was looted and later used as a pulmonary hospital. In 1979 it was converted into a district rehabilitation center for mentally handicapped children and adults. Since 1990 Georg Prinz zur Lippe (* 1957) has been buying back his parents' vineyards bit by bit and rebuilding the Proschwitz Castle winery in Zadel. In 1996, Prinz zur Lippe also bought back his parents' castle, which could be used to care for the disabled until September 2000. After the repurchase, the castle had to be renovated piece by piece over the years due to extensive structural damage. Georg Prinz zur Lippe was significantly supported by the German Foundation for Monument Protection.Concerts, park and castle festivals, banquets, conferences and weddings are held today at Proschwitz Castle and Park.
September 4, 2021
Blockhausen is a forest adventure center between Mulda / Saxony and Dorfchemnitz in the district of central Saxony. The center is the venue for the Huskycup, an international chainsaw competition.The first hut, the Freiberger Hütte, was built in 1996 on Andreas Martin's property in Mulda. A year later this was implemented in the forest. This is how the development of Blockhausen began. The Canadian-style cabin has an octagonal floor plan and is approximately 68 square meters. The roof structure is supported in the middle by a mighty central column and can accommodate up to 50 people. In the hut there is a kitchen that was built by master joiner Günter Janzen from Cämmerswalde based on plans by wood designer Jahn Haufe from Mulda. The hut also has a hot tub, a place for a campfire and a herb garden.
Great hutConstruction of the large hut began on April 9, 2009. First of all, the floor slab was made with 31 m³ of concrete. The actual construction began on April 20, 2009 under the direction of Wolfgang Buheitel from Rehau in the Upper Franconian district of Hof in Bavaria. Just two days later, the 560 m² roof with roof cladding and shingles was ready. A total of approx. 381 m³ of wood was used. A modern kitchen and sanitary facilities were also built here. The large room offers space for 70 people. There are overnight accommodations for 23 people under the roof.
Snack and hay hotelThe third hut is currently a snack bar with a hay hotel above it, which offers space for 25 people. Next to the hut is a huge wooden puppet (Ent from Lord of the Rings), made in 2008.
BeehivesOn the way to the log house are the hives from the show beekeeping, which were created by the chainsaw artists at the 2011 Huskycup and are managed by a beekeeper. The life of the bees and the work of the beekeeper are explained and presented in several showcases.
September 1, 2021
1,500 winemakers, one great passion. The Meißen winegrowers' cooperative is a recipe for success, and together with our viticulture along the Saxon Wine Route, we have a unique cultural asset with a long tradition. We WINZER MEISSEN create brilliant wines that are not just drinkable, but can be experienced. The Meißen Wine Adventure World ›is the perfect stage for this: cosmopolitan, friendly, modern.
The WEINFEST MEIßEN 2021 will take place from October 1st to 3rd, 2021. As every year, a varied Meißner Weinfest program is offered for the 2021 wine festival visitors. Numerous cultural events and concerts are planned on the numerous stages.
The largest wine festival in Saxony is celebrated every year. Logically everything revolves around the Sachsenwein! Over 850 years of tradition and the rise of Saxon wine to the top class make it an exquisite rarity. The winemakers pour their wines on the area around the market in Meißen. There is also a colorful program with blues, rock, folk, brass music, classical music, jazz and much more. The highlight is the vintner's parade on Sunday morning.
Meißner city center offers many event locations and a wide range of culture. In addition to the large stages on Markt, Neugasse and Heinrichsplatz, events take place at the Tuchmachertor, behind the Frauenkirche, on the Kleinmarkt, in the wine village on the Schulplatz, the Theaterplatz, on the Lorenzgasse and the inner courtyard of the town hall. The cathedral square on the Meißner Burgberg is also used. The parade takes place on Sunday morning. The individual pictures of the parade are created by wine producers from the area, the city of Meissen, clubs, children's facilities, companies and many other enthusiasts. The parade is musically accompanied by ten bands and marching bands.
Admission is free.
August 31, 2021
- 03:2313.1 mi3.9 mph2,750 ft2,425 ft
Coswig (also Coswig near Dresden) is a large district town in the Saxon district of Meißen. It is located on the Elbe, northwest of Dresden and has seamlessly merged with the same via Radebeul. The name is derived from the Old Sorbian word kos - blackbird, after which Kosovik means blackbird area.
Coswig was originally a church village in which viticulture was practiced in the 15th century. After the connection to the Leipzig-Dresden Railway in 1839, the place grew increasingly so that it was declared a city exactly 100 years later.
As early as 1013, Brockwitz was first mentioned in a deed of ownership from King Heinrich II to the cathedral monastery in Meißen, as "Brochotinacethla".
In 1203 Kötitz was first mentioned in connection with a donation from Margrave Dietrich to the Altzella monastery under the name "villa Chottenwiz".
Sörnewitz was first mentioned in a document in 1205 as the mill town "Villa Sornuitz". In September 2005 the village celebrated its 800th anniversary.
The first verifiable mention of Coswig as "Koczwicz" is in the feudal book of Friedrich des Strengen from 1350.
After 1556 the village of Kreyern fell into desolation, the corridor of which today belongs to Coswig.
At the beginning of the Nazi era in April 1933, 70 to 80 members of workers' organizations were interned and mistreated in the school gymnasium, 20 of whom were transferred to prisons in Dresden.
On May 25, 2009, the city received the title “Place of Diversity” awarded by the federal government.
August 21, 2021
- 01:436.59 mi3.8 mph2,050 ft2,200 ft
Leupoldishain is a district of the Saxon town of Königstein (Saxon Switzerland) in the district of Saxon Switzerland-Eastern Ore Mountains. The district consists of the two villages Leupoldishain and Nikolsdorf, first mentioned in 1379.
At the end of the 1950s, the villagers built a natural stage with 1,100 seats as part of the national reconstruction project. Only half a decade later the stage had to be abandoned after the SDAG Wismut opened up a uranium ore deposit. With more than 2200 employees at times, the company was the most important employer in the region until 1990. The WISMUT GmbH Königstein branch is expected to be busy with the above-ground renovation work until 2020.
On January 1, 1999, Leupoldishain was incorporated into the city of Königstein.
The village already belonged to the electoral office of Pirna in the 16th century, from which the office of the same name emerged in the 19th century. After the Second World War and the administrative reform of 1952, the community remained in the smaller Pirna district in the Dresden district. As part of the two Saxon district reforms, Leupoldishain and the Pirna district became part of the Saxon Switzerland district in 1994 and with this in 2008 the Saxon Switzerland-Eastern Ore Mountains district.
In spring 2012, Leupoldishain was one of the filming locations for the fairy tale film Snow White and Rose Red.
August 14, 2021
- 01:536.38 mi3.4 mph975 ft1,000 ft
The Weißeritztalbahn is the second oldest Saxon narrow-gauge railway and the longest-serving publicly operated narrow-gauge railway in Germany. The route has led from Freital-Hainsberg near Dresden through the Rote Weißeritz valley to Dippoldiswalde since 1882 and to Kipsdorf in the Eastern Ore Mountains since 1883. It was so badly damaged in the flood in August 2002 that it went completely out of service. After a long reconstruction, marked by many delays, the line from Freital-Hainsberg to Dippoldiswalde was put back into operation in 2008, the line from there to the health resort of Kipsdorf on June 17, 2017, almost 15 years after it was devastated by the floods.
August 12, 2021
- 02:208.81 mi3.8 mph1,800 ft900 ft
The Hüttertal in Saxony is located between Wallroda and Radeberg and has been a designated landscape protection area since 1954 (Saxon LSG no. D14; CDDA code 321858). It was one of the first protected areas in the GDR and, with an area of 54 hectares, also one of the smallest.
Since 2006, the Hüttertal has been part of the European Natura 2000 protected area (part of the 770 hectare FFH protected area No. 4848-301 Rödertal above Medingen) and is therefore subject to strict nature and bird protection regulations.
It lies in the transition area from the West Lusatian hills and mountains to the Schönfeld highlands. The Große Röder flows through the Hüttertal towards Radeberg.
August 7, 2021