Bike Touring Highlight
At the site of today's cathedral existed already before around 814 built church, 849 the seat of Bishop Walter was. After a fire in this Carolingian church, Bishop Amelung had a new wooden building constructed. Both predecessors were located in 1966/67 by excavations in the area of today's central nave. Bishop Bernhard II sat around 1000 (according to Thietmar von Merseburg) in front of the wooden ship, however, already a stone tower. When then the stone-built Ottonian (early Romanesque) successor building was consecrated in 1028 to St. Mary and Cecilia, the previous Andreas Patrozinium went to the south adjacent parish church. In the middle of the 12th century began to rebuild the Ottonian Episcopal church, while the southwestern, Romanesque bell tower to build. It is today the oldest visible part of the cathedral, because even the Romanesque building fell victim to fire, in 1268 together with the Süderstadt.
The first construction phase of the Gothic cathedral lasted from 1290 to 1323. During this time, he created the hall choir, the transept and the first longhouse yoke. After a long break in construction, the remaining three nave humps were begun in 1473 on the foundations for the planning of the 13th century and completed in 1490. With the cultivation of the Mandelslohkapelle in the west one renounced definitively on the north tower and thus on a double tower facade. 1567, the cathedral chapter Lutheran, 1651 it dissolved.
During a renovation in 1829 under the direction of master builder Leo Bergmann, the Renaissance and Baroque furnishings were removed and the cathedral was regaled in a romantic spirit.
Source Wikipedia Dom to Verden
May 14, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!