Bike Touring Highlight
The Altenberg Cathedral, often called the "Bergische Dom", is the church of the former Cistercian Abbey Altenberg (1133-1803) and today the parish church of the Catholic Parish of St. Maria Himmelfahrt, Altenberg. The church became after French models 1259-1379
built as a towerless transept basilica with ambulatory and chapel wreath. After a fire in 1815, reconstruction took place from 1833 to 1847.
Since 1857, the Altenberg Cathedral has been shared by Protestant Christians at the request of the Prussian king. Extensive renovations of the cathedral were completed in 2006. Altenberg is a district of Odenthal, between Bergisch Gladbach and Leverkusen, North Rhine-Westphalia, and is located about 20 km northeast of Cologne on the Dhünn, a tributary of the Wupper.
May 7, 2017
The Altenberg Cathedral is one of the most beautiful Gothic churches in Germany. Of special art historical importance are the Madonna in the Radiant Wreath and the Sacrament House. Special attention deserves the large west window: It represents the heavenly Jerusalem and is with its 144 square meters the largest church window north of the Alps. The long history of the monastery, the dukes and counts of the noble family also testifies to numerous high graves and grave slabs of the secular and spiritual princes inside the church.
October 15, 2017
One of the most beautiful Gothic churches in Germany that you have to see.
But it is not only an imposing church in terms of its external appearance. Since the Altenberg Cathedral and Altenberg House were affected by the flood, it was not possible to view the inside during my visit. But will be made up;)
August 4, 2021
The Altenberg Cathedral was built as a monastery church from 1255 on the site of a Romanesque predecessor building consecrated around 1160. The Cistercians had already come to Altenberg in 1133 and had started building an abbey. Towards the end of the 12th century, the abbey had 107 priestly monks and 138 lay brothers, so the construction of a large church was considered. Count Adolf IV von Berg laid the foundation stone for the "Bergisches Dom" on March 3, 1259 in the presence of the Archbishop of Cologne, Konrad von Hochstaden. Measured at the start of construction, it is roughly as old as Cologne Cathedral. The choir was consecrated in 1287, and on July 3, 1379, on behalf of the Archbishop of Cologne, it was consecrated as a whole by Bishop Wikbold Dobilstein von Kulm, who is buried in the cathedral's high choir. The large west window was inserted around 1400.Source: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altenberger_Dom
November 9, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!