Hidden in the green of the Elzbachtal, the walls of Burg Eltz tower. The German model castle, which was never destroyed and graced the 500-Mark-Schein for many years, corresponds to the romantic idea of a medieval castle, but is not necessarily typical in its architectural history.
Castle Eltz was divided in 1268 - to avoid an inheritance dispute - under three descendants and continued from now on as Ganerbenburg as a community heritage. Each line built over the centuries in the narrow castle area their own property. So it came to the dense buildings with a variety of turrets, bay windows and other elements.
Another unusual feature of the history of the castle Eltz is that it survived the Reunionskriege of Louis XIV harmless. This is due to the skill of a man of the branched clan of Eltz, who served as an officer in the French army. (At that time, nationality was not that important.)
He was able to get his headquarters removed from the destruction order of the "Sun King", who otherwise fell victim to almost all fortifications in our region.
The visit of Burg Eltz is worthwhile not only because of the fantastic location and perfect condition, but also because of the qualified guides. The castle can be reached on foot from Moselkern or from the parking area above Müden, or by car via Münstermaifeld and Wierschem.
June 16, 2017
Beautiful tour to the castle Eltz!
The path is known to be the destination, but the way to this destination is really great!
The castle is from the 12th century and was even the castle on the 500 DM bill! One of the few castles that has never been conquered or destroyed in war.
Medium hike. Good condition required! The orange waymark is wonderfully marked on every corner, so you really can not get lost!
May 2, 2017
History of Eltz Castle
The name Eltz was mentioned for the first time in 1157. In a deed of donation from Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa, a Rudolfus von Eltz, (Rudolfus de Elze), an imperial minister, was listed as a witness. This Rudolf lived on the Elz in a first, still small castle, which secured the path that was a connection between Eifel / Maifeld and Moselle. Burg Eltz has a building history of more than 500 years. It started in the 12th century with the Romanesque castle house Platt - Eltz. The massive fortifications on the west side also date from the early days of the castle (13th and 14th centuries).
Before 1268 the family of Eltz, now free Imperial Knights, divided into three lines. In the line with the golden lion, Eltz Kempenich, the one with the silver lion, Eltz Rübenach and the one with the buffalo horns, Eltz Rodendorf. These three families formed an inheritance and residential community at the castle, the so-called Ganerbengemeinschaft.
Through clever politics and clever diplomacy by the Lords of Eltz, the castle was spared destruction in the great wars of the 17th century and is therefore one of the few castles in Europe that have never been destroyed
Burg Eltz has been in the possession of the same name for 34 generations. The current head of the family is Dr. Karl Graf von und zu Eltz Kempenich.
September 17, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.