Mountain Biking Highlight
A wooden structure called Neustädter Hütte was built in 1900 and was replaced by a massive structure in 1910. The first major expansion took place in 1922 with the construction of the main house, in which the original hut was converted into a porch.
In 1924, the first water supply was implemented by installing a pump system. With the addition of the left wing in 1931, the second major expansion took place.
After the Second World War, the hut fell to the children's and youth association "Die Falken". After the hut was returned in 1949, extensive repair work was necessary. A power supply was only established in 1974/75.
The third expansion through the addition of the right wing took place in 1982/83.
The hut received media attention in 1961 through the criminal activities of the Kimmel gang, named after its leader Bernhard Kimmel, who shot the hut owner Karl Wertz on New Year's Eve 1960/1961. A knight's stone was erected in memory of the hut owner.
November 12, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!