Bike Touring Highlight
The church in Westerhever is a Warftkirche. The church was built on a nearly 5-meter-high moat. The tower from 1370 is the oldest of the total of 18 Protestant churches on the North Sea peninsula Eiderstedt. While it is still largely preserved in its original form, the nave is a later construction from the year 1804. According to tradition, stones of the destroyed Wogemannsburg were used to build the first nave and to reinforce the tower.The church in Westerhever houses the oldest baptismal font of Eiderstedt from the 12th century, as well as the oldest pair of candlesticks Eiderstedts from Romanesque times. Above the baptismal font is a carved baptismal font dating from 1815. The pulpit from the late Renaissance was originally located above the altar on the east wall and was relocated to the south side in the sixties of the twentieth century. The light blue and red designed stalls of the church reminds in color and features of the Hallig churches. A special feature is the panel of preachers since the Reformation, which is continued to this day.The altarpiece is a copy of the work "The Holy Family" by the Flemish painter Anthonis van Dyck, painted by Westerhever-born artist Jacob Alberts. Albert's grave is on the south side of the church.Source: westerhever-nordsee.de/kirchen.html
July 21, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!