Mountain Biking Highlight
The first lock in Wernsdorf was put into operation in 1891 as a one-chamber lock. It had a usable length of 55 meters and was in the place of today's southern chamber. The first north chamber was built in 1904. Both lock chambers were equipped with folding gates in the head and mortised gates in the lower head. In order to allow larger ships to pass through the southern chamber, the stem gate was replaced by a lifting gate in 1929 and the drift at the head was shortened by 1.40 m. This increased the usable length of the south chamber to 67.5 meters. This conversion measure brought great benefits for shipping due to its comparatively low costs. Due to increased ship sizes and an increase in shipping traffic, the north chamber of the lock was repaired after 2004 and extended to the east to a usable length of 115 meters. The width is now 9.40 meters. The head moved to the east was given a folding gate. The north chamber was opened to traffic on November 21, 2006. The south chamber is out of service.
June 23, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.