The town hall in Heilbronn is located approximately in the center of the historic center of Heilbronn. Its main building is the main part of the Old Town Hall rebuilt after the destruction in the Second World War. This is a four-winged, modern building complex that surrounds the remodeled into the hall of honor ruins of the old city archives from the 18th century.
The town hall is located on the northern edge of the market square, which is lined with other than the old building of the town hall with the Kilianskirche and the Käthchenhaus of other very old buildings. At the back of the town hall complex is the Lohtorstraße (formerly Judengasse).
An older town hall building at the Kirchbrunnen (Siebenröhrenbrunnen) is described ("around 1535 an even older town hall building at the Kirchbrunnen had been destroyed by fire"). Thus, the history of a town hall in Heilbronn known to us today begins with the mention of a town hall on the Kirchbrunnenstrasse, with an older market square in the area of the west tower of the Kilianskirche and further west. In contrast, the neighboring today's marketplace was initially overbuilt with a farmyard. The war-ruined construction of today's Heilbronner town hall on the Kaiserstraße once bordered on the Kieselmarkt, where Lammgasse and Lohtorstraße (formerly Judengasse), two historic main streets of the market town met. At the Kieselmarkt, with the Synagogue (1357), the ritual baths and the cemetery of the Heilbronn Jews, the center of the Jewish community in Heilbronn was in the late Middle Ages. After the city ban for Jews in the late 15th century, the site was purchased and built by the imperial city of Heilbronn.
During post-war reconstruction, only the exterior architecture of the main part of the old town hall was restored. This included his gallery and the astronomical art clock.
May 14, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!