Bike Touring Highlight
The construction of the partially preserved medieval moated castle dates back to the 13th century. In 1222 it was called "vest huz cremascowe".
In 1486, the name Schweinsburg was first used for the castle.
In 1743, the ruined castle was rebuilt into a baroque palace.
1908 to 1911 was carried out for the manufacturer Carl Wolf a renewed conversion in the style of the Neo-Baroque.
Between 1946 and 1989, the castle served as party school "Julius Motter" of the KPD, later SED. The building fabric was significantly affected; Among other things, the house chapel was rebuilt into a gymnasium with loss of the historic altar.
In 1998 the castle was renovated and a hotel was established in the lower castle.
September 5, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!