The Veste Coburg, also known as the "Franconian Crown", rises high above the city with its mighty walls and towers. "Koburgk" was first mentioned in a document in 1056. The beginnings of today's castle complex date back to the Staufer era at the beginning of the 13th century. The era at the beginning of the 16th century brought a cultural boom, when the Saxon electors used their castle for frequent stays. In the 19th century, the dukes of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha began to set up world-class art collections there.
September 22, 2017
This castle is armed to the teeth - which is why it has never been captured by force of arms in its history (its crew was only persuaded to surrender using a fake letter during the Thirty Years' War). The art collection inside the castle is particularly worth seeing.
July 19, 2016
The castle is first mentioned in documents in 1056. In 1353 she fell to the house Wettin. Due to its strategic importance, it was expanded in the following 150 years to one of the largest castles in Germany. After the transfer of the court to the city in the 16th century, the Veste served only as a national fortress.
A famous guest in 1530 was the reformer Luther, who worked on his Bible translation during the Augsburg Reichstag. Major construction activities began again with Duke Ernst I (1806-1844). In the 19th century Karl Alexander von Heideloff renewed the architecture in the sense of a jewel-rich Neugotik. From 1906, the castle historian and architect Bodo Ebhardt redesigned the facility.
Today, the castle is home to the art collections of Veste Coburg. They are among the most important collections of art and cultural history in Germany and are largely based on the art of the Coburg dukes. The museum includes a copper engraving cabinet, a collection of hunting weapons and glasses, as well as a carriage and sledge collection. Among the artworks, paintings by Lucas Cranach and Old German painting (Dürer, Grünewald, Holbein) and sculptures by Tilman Riemenschneider are particularly noteworthy.
December 18, 2016
01.04.-31.10 .: Mon - Sun 9.30am to 5.00pm, 01.11.-31.03 .: Tue - Sun 1.00pm to 4.00pm, closed: Shrove Tuesday, 24. + 25.12., 31.12. Guided tours for individual visitors in the art collections of the Veste Coburg from March to October: Saturday, Sunday and public holiday at 2.30 pm.
May 5, 2017
The Veste Coburg, a fortress built medieval castle, towers over the city of Coburg in the Upper Franconian border area to Thuringia. It has an extension of about 135 by 260 meters and is very well preserved. The Veste is about 160 meters above the city center. Wikipedia
January 12, 2019
Veste Coburg, first mentioned in a document in 1056, in 1353 ownership fell to the House of Wettin. Over the next 150 years it was expanded into one of the largest castles in Germany. In 1530 Luther lived on the fortress and worked on the translation of the Bible. The fortress is also called the Franconian Crown.
October 11, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.