The Harkort Tower is a lookout tower on the Harkortberg in Wetter (Ruhr), which was built in 1884 from private donations in memory of Friedrich Harkort. The tower has been a listed building since 1984 and has been part of the Route of Industrial Heritage since the beginning of 2011.
From a 1882 architectural competition, the joint design of the Düsseldorf architects Otto van Els and Bruno Schmitz emerged victorious. After the architects had incorporated some change requests from the client, a cost estimate of 20,000 marks resulted, in contrast to the 15,000 marks calculated at the competition, which corresponded to the real existing building fund.  Only after the additional costs were covered by further donations, one could go to the construction. The inauguration of the tower finally took place on 19 October 1884.
Bruno Schmitz, who was only 23 at the time of the competition, later became one of Germany's most famous monument architects.
The tower has a height of 35 meters. The visitor has 130 steps leading to the observation deck, which offers a distant view over the Harkortsee to the Sauerland. The architecture of the tower is reminiscent of medieval castles, the wall openings in the area of the lower terrace have Gothic pointed arches. In terms of style, dr Harkortturm belongs to the architecture of historicism.
At its foot was formerly a restaurant with a pavilion and beer garden. On June 1, 1907, the buildings and the 3-acre site were transferred to the municipality weather. The tower was renovated in 2009 for the 125th anniversary, in the same year celebrated the 100th anniversary of the completion of the town hall and the regaining of city rights.
June 6, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.