Mountain Biking Highlight
The "Old Castle" was built in 1564 on the foundations of a medieval complex from the 13th century. Today it is part of the neighboring "Hofgut Friedelhausen". The building now known as Schloss Friedelhausen is the "New Castle". It was built in the English Neo-Gothic style in the mid-19th century.
It is still privately owned by aristocrats and cannot be visited. Nevertheless, a detour past the castle and the Hofgut Friedelhausen is worthwhile. This can, for example, be a good alternative to the section of the Lahntal cycle path that leads just a few hundred meters past Friedelhausen Castle on the other side of the Lahn.
A nicely written, informative report about the castle and farm can be found here:
The German Foundation for Monument Protection publishes this article on the New Castle (also with individual "inside" photos):
April 21, 2020
The district of Friedelhausen, which today belongs to the town of Lollar, with the old deserted village on the left bank of the Lahn east of Salzboden and north-west of Staufenberg, was transferred in 1414 as a fief to the von Rolshausen family, who were burghers on the Staufenberg from 1358. The manor house in Friedelhausen built in 1564, the "Old Castle", has been preserved to this day as a two-storey stone building with a stair tower on the side. In the immediate vicinity of the castle is the Hofgut Friedelhausen, which is now managed by a socio-therapeutic community as a Demeter farm with a farm shop. The Friedelhausen Castle (New Castle) higher up on the banks of the Lahn was built by Baron Adalbert von Nordeck zur Rabenau and his wife Clara from 1852 onwards. The castle is still owned and inhabited by the Countess' family. The interior of the castle cannot be visited
January 17, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!