Mountain Biking Highlight
In the Lahn-Dill-Bergland large and productive quarries were developed at the end of the 19th century. Until today Diabas ("Hinterländer Grünstein") is mined here. From this material, stones, tombstones, paving stones, chippings, gravel as well as floor tiles and façade cladding have been and are still being produced. The quarry Hessel was put into operation in the 1880s. Until the 1950s, the basement floors of houses in Oberhörlen were mostly made from the stones of the quarry. Even for public buildings Diabas from the quarry was used very early, such as for the school built in 1901 and the rectory from 1913. Towards the end of the 1950s, the quarry was abandoned. (Source: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberhörlen)The Steinruch was recently completely cut free and provided with a new railing.
March 25, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!