The first mention was in 1171. It was part of the protection of the trade route. It was destroyed in the Thirty Years' War, and has been a ruin ever since. A beautiful cycling destination on the Saale bike path.
In the castle is a branch office of the registry office of the city of Naumburg for marriages, which markets themselves and their castle with the surrounding communities modern Thuringian Tuscany and the nature park Saale-Unstrut-Triasland.