The Münzplatz is located in the old town of Koblenz, its name is reminiscent of the former electoral coin.
The coins of the Electors of Trier were minted in Koblenz with a few interruptions from the middle of the 11th century. In the 15th century Koblenz even became the main mint of the prince-bishop, replacing Trier.
Originally the mint consisted of several buildings (smelter, line, stamp mill, locksmith's shop, white piece kitchen, annealing furnace, tasting house), which were demolished at the beginning of the 19th century and opened up today's mint site.
Today only the Münzmeisterhaus, a baroque building with a simple plastered facade, is preserved.Clemens Wenzeslaus von Metternich, who served the Habsburg family as Foreign Minister and State Chancellor of the Austrian Empire, was born in 1773 in the “House Metternich” opposite. As “European coachman” he headed the Congress of Vienna in 1814/15, at which it was decided that the Rhineland would fall to Prussia. Koblenz became the capital of the new Prussian Rhine province.The fountain on the square, created by Willi Heinzen, is a gift from Sparkasse Koblenz to the city and its citizens on the occasion of the 2000 year celebration in 1992.
September 21, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.