3

F.A.Z.
 

About F.A.Z.

Die besten Wanderwege der Region

Distance travelled

691 mi

Time in motion

211:56 h

Recent Activity
  1. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    7 days ago

    03:08
    9.51 mi
    3.0 mph
    1,425 ft
    1,400 ft
    Rainer, Bernd and 4 others like this.
    1. F.A.Z.

      Forest and wine characterize Alzenau on the western Spessart flank. Against almost 3000 hectares of forest, the 85 with grapes look modest. The rows of vines near Hörstein and Wasserlos cannot be overlooked, of course, and at Michelbach it is the protruding Apostelberg, whose mica schist gives the multiple award-winning wines a strong, tangy note.In addition to the quality of the soil, a deeply loosened humus layer increases the quality, as it was only created by a long cultivation tradition that reached here into the 9th century. But that is not the only reason why the Apostelberg is a listed building. The small parcels, the dry stone walls, stairs or wingert houses have been preserved as an expression of the prevailing cultivation by many hands since the end of the former main owners monastery Seligenstadt and Hanau.However, only an early land consolidation and the winegrowers' cooperative founded in 1902 made efficient management possible. Sales benefited from the Kahlgrund Railway, built in 1898, which enabled Alzenau, which had been sidelined since the transition to Bavaria in 1816, to connect to the Rhine-Main area and thus enable employment. In view of the development into a sought-after residential and commercial location, it seems hard to imagine that the conditions were nonetheless poor.At the same time, the fundamental renovation of the public space, including the district court and events serving today, as the official residence of the Mainz castle built in the late 14th century, and the Justinuskirche, consecrated in 1758, took place. Its choir with a canopy based on the model of Bernini's papal altar in Saint Peter in Rome is remarkable.It almost seems as if you wanted to catch up on what could not be done in the past, and in 1840 King Ludwig I of Bavaria was able to honor his new regional children and climb the Hahnenkamm, which was still undeveloped at the time. With the construction of a tower named after Ludwig on the 435 meter high summit, the Alzenau residents returned the favor for the 700th anniversary of the Wittelsbach reign in 1880.Meanwhile overtaken by trees, thanks to the increase made in 2004, the contrasting distant view can be enjoyed again: Here the pulsating Rhine-Main area, there the quiet, hardly populated Spessart forests. For refreshment after a long ascent and for the steep descent, a hearty retreat with an outdoor seating area at the foot of the Ludwigturm (both closed on Mondays) invites you to take a break.Note: The track starts at the free large car park below the castle (access via "P 1"). The Kahlgrundbahn, which runs every half to hour, stops at the rear.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • about 9 hours ago

  2. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    September 4, 2021

    02:35
    9.27 mi
    3.6 mph
    525 ft
    550 ft
    Silvi 🌺, Rainer and 12 others like this.
    1. F.A.Z.

      People have always been rich in stones in Vogelsberg. But only recently the ideal value of sitting on Europe's largest volcanic field was recognized and basalt, rocks and mineral resources were prepared as a “volcanic region” in a publicly effective manner; most recently ennobled as a “National Geopark” - one of 17 in Germany.This rating also recognizes what was and is being done to convey the stone empire: Around 200 geotopes have been recorded and most of them made accessible, guided tours, educational trails, models and simulations in tourist sites or the Schotten “Vulkaneum” illustrate the favor of geology. And that far beyond the core area of the nature park to the periphery, such as at Homberg (Ohm) in the far north-west.Here a “GeoTour Felsenmeer” bundles everything relevant to rock. Starting in the half-timbered town sitting on a high basalt cone, it goes past sinkholes and earlier pits to the largest basalt quarry in Europe and finally to the peculiarity of a "sandstone rock sea", which, according to its extent and degree of perforated erosion, would rather be located in the Palatinate or Odenwald.The 43 hectare Schweinsberger Moor is not by the wayside. The biotope, designated as Hesse's 100th nature reserve in 1977, with its wide reed areas, is the most important refuge for waterfowl in the Upper Hesse region. Behind it is the Schweinsberg, which is also extremely worth seeing. Where only a stepped gable looks out of tall trees, when you step closer you will be surprised by the mighty fortress walls around a castle complex and, a little below, the late Gothic St. Made of sandstone and not basalt.Note: The track does not show the individual tours in Homberg and Schweinsberg. Both churches are open, but the (private) locks are not. For the "GeoTour", which is partly used here up to the Felsenmeer, a parking lot has been created above Homberg (the circuit itself measures 6.5 km); Signposted from the central traffic circle through Berliner Straße and Zum Hohen Berg. You can get to the old town from the roundabout with Frankfurter Straße.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • 7 days ago

  3. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    August 26, 2021

    02:33
    8.47 mi
    3.3 mph
    1,175 ft
    1,150 ft
    Oliver Hlavaty Photographie, Matthias and 21 others like this.
    1. F.A.Z.

      The heather is on fire - not, and otherwise the vegetation of the heather near Riedelbach im Taunus does not correspond to the familiar image of this landscape. Instead of columnar, the juniper grows almost flat in the eight and a half hectare nature reserve, depressed by the wind and snow and badly ruffled. In between, hornbeams, mountain ash, birch and, above all, tall gorse bushes loom up. Their excess weight explains the extensive lack of heather.How to preserve protected open land will always have to be weighed up. Without man, pagans would hardly exist - and even less would arise. Active support does not only apply to highly specialized flora and fauna. Ultimately, the barren soils are a cultural landscape, remnants of intensive livestock farming, litter and wood removal. The low-income Taunus allowed little more than animal husbandry and forest work or some smelting activity. A stacked pile at the edge of the “Energy Experience Tour” near Cratzenbach, which is otherwise committed to the blessings of the first and to date only wind power park in the Hochtaunus district, reminds of the extraction of charcoal.The fact that the expansion is stagnating has more to do with aesthetic and landscape-friendly reasons than with insufficient wind yield. It blows constantly on the plateau, and even at the 400-meter-high Neuweilnau Castle, it is better to keep the red and white shutters closed on some days. But that was not the only reason why this location demanded everything from its builders. The original castle, from which a tower stump still survived, grew on a hilltop surrounded by the Weil river. It is closely related to the Altweilnau castle (ruin), which is close to the arrow shot. Their owners, the Counts of Diez, signed an inheritance contract in 1302, according to which a new fortress was to be built on the other side of the Weil.He did it visibly better to have remained in a family until 1866 with the imminent transfer to Nassau-Weilburg. While the castle opposite was falling into disrepair, it was even possible to expand it into a Renaissance palace that was later expanded. It has served as a forestry authority since 1816 and, thanks to extensive restoration, with its half-timbered galleries and glazed gables, now also forms an atmospheric setting for the registry office that has since been added.Note: From Neuweilnau Castle, the courtyard and outdoor area as well as the castle garden in front of it - with the best view of Altweilnau - are freely accessible.The track starts at the nature park in the Riedelbachtal: Driveway towards Rod an der Weil and after 300 meters sharp left towards "Minigolf" (the facility is, however, orphaned). If you arrive by bus, you can come down the Talweg from the Parkstraße stop.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • September 2, 2021

  4. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    August 21, 2021

    03:17
    10.3 mi
    3.1 mph
    1,450 ft
    1,575 ft
    Matthias, Wolfram/Ts. and 18 others like this.
    1. F.A.Z.

      The sight must have been impressive, the air as salty as on the North Sea: like an accordion, ten salt pans stood in the narrow Orbe valley until the middle of the 19th century, before more cost-effective methods quickly put an end to the two-kilometer-long graduation walls. Agony and poverty were the result, and it would take decades before the spa system opened up new possibilities, the basis of which is still salt - only now used therapeutically.The 160-meter-long graduation tower from 1806, which is 160 meters long and is an extraordinary technical monument, was preserved for an inhalatory: as a double-walled construction, the interior between the 26,000 bundles of blackthorns can also be (freely) accessed. Water splash included.The 18-meter-high wooden scaffolding has recently been renovated, as has the entire site. Starting at the spa gardens with the Toskana Therme, built in 2010, over the closed half-timbered core, including the narrowest house in Hesse, up to the late Gothic Martinskirche and the neighboring castle with the city museum. The highlight is a 20 square meter model of the salt pan landscape.Last but not least, the surrounding Spessart forests are a therapeutic agent that can hardly be overestimated. Orientation is provided by a tightly woven network of paths, for example to the Molkenberg with its panoramic views or through the renatured Orbe valley with the “longest barefoot path in Germany”, and also to more distant destinations, two of which are particularly worth seeing - the Eschenkar biotope and the Celtic one Old castle.The five-hectare ramparts were only thoroughly examined 20 years ago. The excavations made it possible to reconstruct a section of the wall and to develop it through a nature trail. A piece of nature, of all things, is even younger. As unspoilt as the Eschenkar wetland appears, it only changed after the abandonment of agriculture and forestry in favor of the creation of ponds and reed areas since 2009. And this so successfully that one can now enter the manageable biotope via a boardwalk. Sundew and peat moss appear just as automatically as endangered species such as the yellow-bellied toad or the shy black stork.Note: The track starts at the (free) large car park Friedhof / Molkenbergstraße. When arriving by bus, you can go up through the Burgring. The spa gardens and graduation tower are freely accessible; the city museum only opens Monday through Thursday.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • August 26, 2021

  5. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    August 15, 2021

    03:03
    10.1 mi
    3.3 mph
    1,325 ft
    1,300 ft
    Wolfram/Ts., pvr and 28 others like this.
    1. F.A.Z.

      The Neckar has retained some of its originality. The lower course in particular meanders lavishly between the steep, continuously wooded flanks of the Odenwald. The bank areas are correspondingly less sprawled and the side valleys are still untouched. Two of them, condensed into dramatic scenes, are in the area of Neckargerach: downstream above Schloss Zwingenberg the Wolfsschlucht and a little south the Margaretenschlucht.One is said to have served as a model for the Wolfsschlucht scene in Carl Maria von Weber's opera "Freischütz", whereas the Margaretenschlucht has not yet found a singer - hardly out of disdain, probably more because of its inaccessibility an alpine via ferrata has been secured, you can enjoy the great interplay of water, rock and trees.Without this expansion - and non-slip footwear - the 600 meter long ascent of around 100 meters in altitude would not be manageable.Always along the rope, you switch back and forth eight times, follow tight turns and support yourself against the forty percent gradient. In between, however, flatter areas allow you to breathe and give a glimpse of the flattened sandstone walls through which the Fursbach cascaded over eleven larger heels. With a little luck you can even see fire salamanders lying on the warming rock in such places.The sandstone, which was easy to work with, made it easier to build castles, for example the Minneburg across from Neckargerach, which was built around 1200. Today's appearance of high walls and round gun turrets largely corresponds to that of the 16th century. However, the ravages of time made it necessary to close the medieval core area after partial collapses. The outside area and outer bailey with their opening view of the Neckar valley are unaffected.Note: There is also a three-kilometer shortened access to the Minneburg: about 700 meters after entering the forest with the Gu 1 mark up steeply. If the castle ruins are to be left out entirely, then immediately right from the Neckar bridge towards Guttenbach.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • August 19, 2021

  6. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    August 9, 2021

    03:48
    12.1 mi
    3.2 mph
    1,725 ft
    1,775 ft
    Christian Robert, F71 and 22 others like this.
    1. F.A.Z.

      As one of the last large quarries in the western Spessart, the only one for rhyolite is now closed. The rare volcanic rock mined near Sailauf had only gained importance in the past few decades in road construction or chemical processes and not least in the home and garden area. At peak times it was a good 1000 tons a day. However, the viewpoint above the four levels remains unaffected by the shutdown for safety reasons.The only difference is that emerald green water now shimmers where stone crushers and conveyor systems were, which of course is no longer pumped out. This is also likely to be a great loss for geologists, as they discovered around 75 different minerals in the more than 300 million year old layers, including rarities such as brandite or sailaufite. From a geological point of view, this is considered to be more valuable than all gold and diamond reserves with a total deposit of just 500 grams.The earliest processing of the reddish rhyolite in Sailauf itself dates back to 1923, when it should be an appropriate framework for the "war memorial". It stands on the steep slope above which the parish church of St. Vitus rises. Finally, the late baroque hall and the Romanesque defense tower were extensively renovated. The furnishings range from late Gothic statues to Baroque altars and historicist paintings to a Harrison organ from 1902. In addition, beds and planting of the surrounding iron crosses were taken back, while the unique hedge frames of the graves were renewed in the younger part.In the neighboring town of Eichenberg in Sailauf there was also a quarry of extremely unusual material - white sandstone. As representative as it appears, the occurrence was too small to achieve a meaning similar to the predominant reddish one. This was used in numerous buildings, such as the Frankfurt Cathedral, and since the 19th century also in local churches and secular buildings.One of them, the hearty restaurant "Waldhaus Engländer", which is particularly popular with motorcyclists, is celebrating its 175th anniversary these days. During a trip through Spessart, which only fell to Bavaria in 1816, King Ludwig I insisted on inaugurating the building, which originally served as a forest and hunting lodge, on August 16, 1846.Note: If you want to avoid this stop, which is particularly popular on weekends, you can continue walking between the directional posts "Seven Beeches" and "Short Saints" with the red X marking, shortening it by two kilometers.The track starts just outside of Sailauf at a small nature park. But you can also start at the (public) parking space behind the church and cemetery. The bus stop is below St. Vitus.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • August 12, 2021

  7. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    July 31, 2021

    03:38
    11.0 mi
    3.0 mph
    1,750 ft
    1,750 ft
    Bernd, Karin Nitzschmann and 25 others like this.
    1. F.A.Z.

      A notice:
      The track begins at the railway station in the right Main Main area of Kirschfurt. If you arrive by car, we recommend the long, free parking lane on the Freudenberger Mainfront.
      The track also shows a branch before the descent to Freudenburg. The stone carving work ("tubs") expected there are too unfavorable. Therefore, you can descend immediately at the intersection with the red N (then the tour is two shorter than the registered 17.5 kilometers and one more at the start in Freudenberg).An attempt to delete this detour was unsatisfactory because komoot evaluated it as a new tour and advertised it as “planned” (cross-checks showed the same results). That could of course be misleading. We would be grateful for tips on how to work around this problem, so that the track is not assigned a different quality even if there are changes.And with it into the sandstone wonderland:Castle by castle, the walls on the Mainviereck between Wertheim and Miltenberg have been renovated for years. Freed from vegetation, the sandstone repaired and cleaned, they now tower over the steep bank slopes again, demanding respect. Where, for example, the Freudenburg barely looked out of the trees, its step-like structure now almost looks like a pyramid with the "tip" of the tapering keep. With an edge length of almost 15 meters square, the Würzburg bishopric had it built around 1195 against its intimate enemy, the Archdiocese of Mainz, as one of the largest of all.Freudenberg, which grew up at the foot of the castle, has also been included in the security system by means of long connecting walls since it was upgraded to a town in 1287. Fully preserved, they are also released, while on the Main the worst enemy is now kept in check with a special wall - the recurring flood (the Main was and is not currently affected). At the same time, the opportunity was used to upgrade the neglected bank area with paths, outdoor seating and an inn.

      Only the cramped conditions should never be able to escape completely. Between the river and the steep slope there is just enough space for narrow rows of houses and a thoroughfare. Even the baroque Laurentius Church had to be placed on the eaves. Only the elevated town hall, a stately half-timbered building from the 16th century, proudly looks to the main front.
      Otherwise, sandstone dominated consciousness. You can still see the flanks torn open for quarries on both banks. Conveniently, the mighty bars of Bürgstadter and Wannenberg also had scattered chunks ready. First it was peoples of the late Bronze and Celtic Ages who used themselves for their kilometer-long ring walls - as a reconstructed gate is reminiscent of - then in the 11th century stonecutters raised to knock columns and drums out of the blanks for Rhenish cathedrals, for example. On some of the workpieces called hay barrels or columns that were left behind, preliminary drawings can still be seen.Postscript: Even if the recordings may give a different impression - the interior was still closed due to an event - the castle is freely accessible during the day.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • August 5, 2021

  8. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    July 25, 2021

    02:48
    9.71 mi
    3.5 mph
    900 ft
    875 ft
    Pete, Rainer and 33 others like this.
    1. F.A.Z.

      He is still one of the quiet ones in the Hessenland, the Burgwald northeast of Marburg. Hardly settled, characterized by closed mixed and alluvial forests, moors and gurgling streams, a landscape can be discovered here that retains a piece of originality. The Burgwald still seems to breathe something of the understanding of nature, as it is said to be mythical-fairytale-like transfigured times, or, thanks to various protective measures, to breathe again.

      Until the 19th century largely bare and drained due to overuse, the region has been experiencing a miraculous development back to its former state for several decades. A good half of the core region, corresponding to 130 square kilometers, is protected: as bird reserves, FFH or nature reserves. The biotopes in particular have been renatured at great expense. Where peat mosses, ferns or bundles of sedges form almost impenetrable corridors, highly endangered species appeared by themselves: over 20 species of dragonflies, fish such as the lamprey, the shy black stork and countless amphibians, which can be easily observed in the NSG Franzosenwiese.
      Last but not least, this centrally located 115 hectare area is linked to a special cultural and historical feature. The (later) name suggests that Landgrave Karl von Hessen-Kassel gave the French religious refugees ("Huguenots") who had settled in the far away Swabian village in 1687 the plateau, which was only suitable for making grass. Even today, descendants use several plots for mowing or growing spruce. Others acquired the public purse in the hope that the cultivated zones would be given up so that flora and fauna develop like in the western Franzosenwiese. Its specialty are so-called transitional and swinging lawn bogs, on the surface of which the vegetation floats.In late summer, this biotope unfolds its very own, almost elegiac mood, when loosened fruiting bodies create long streaks on the dark brown waters. Washed out humic acids also gave the main tributary red water its name. Both the natural and the cultural landscape of the Burgwald are presented by a themed trail named after the brook from Rauschenberg-Bracht; here supplemented by the loop over the Franzosenwiese.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • July 29, 2021

  9. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    July 18, 2021

    02:37
    9.47 mi
    3.6 mph
    550 ft
    575 ft
    1. F.A.Z.

      The Wetterau lends its name to an entire region. The 65 kilometer long river is almost representative of the abundance of water in the region between Taunus, Vogelsberg and Kinzigtal. Despite the millennia of agriculture, ever larger wetlands remained, which were only recently drained for fields or pastures, which in turn forced the straightening of the rivers.In the meantime, this has changed radically, for which the “Auenverbund Wetterau” is providing exemplary pacemaker services. The entire river system formed by Wetter, Nidda, Horloff and Nidder has been undergoing extensive renaturation measures since then and over 7,400 hectares have now been withdrawn from misuse. Generous floodplains also characterize the northwestern Wetterau in the Lich area, and important biotopes developed even in the forests, even though they were originally laid out by the Counts of Solmser for fish farming in the 18th century, like the Albacher ponds.Despite their importance as a habitat for countless water birds, they are of course not formally designated as nature reserves, since they were used as an open-air swimming pool for the human species. 85 years ago, an area was marked out behind the weir of the larger of the two ponds. The wooden changing rooms have of course long since had their day in favor of more contemporary furnishings. There is a play and children's area, a snack right by the water and extensive lawns with sports fields. Finally, a rubber frame with a slide was anchored in the water.This natural or forest swimming pool is likely to be an insider tip just as much as the neighboring Lich. Thanks to the local brewery, which has the town in its name and nature in its heart, it became a household name nationwide. There was therefore no rush of visitors. The closed half-timbered structure from five centuries, restored down to the last beam, still wants to be discovered and the late Gothic Marienstiftskirche with the rarity of a campanile - the former city tower - to be honored. Not to forget the also renovated, baroque-classicist castle of the Solms princes. Although one line of the widely ramified house is still inhabited today, the “English” park is open to the general public.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • July 22, 2021

  10. F.A.Z. went for a hike.

    July 7, 2021

    04:08
    12.9 mi
    3.1 mph
    1,950 ft
    1,925 ft
    Matthias, Oliver Hlavaty Photographie and 31 others like this.
    1. F.A.Z.

      Water is the elixir of life in the Odenwald. Settled by three rivers, the Rhine, Main and Neckar, it was the rivers, Gersprenz, Weschnitz and Mümling along which the settlement took place. It is no wonder that spring locations have also been conquered, protected and symbolically inflated. Chapels grew above pre-Christian places of worship and in Güttersbach even a Romanesque-Gothic church over a fountain that was visited as a miracle worker.At the beginning there is the name Einhard, advisor and biographer of Emperor Charlemagne. Out of gratitude, he has sponsored a first church since the sick wife Imma is said to have recovered from the water that was later drawn in front of it. And actually the most famous German-language verse epic, the Nibelungenlied, could only reach its dramatic climax with the devious murder of Siegfried at a local source.Generations of scholars and local patriots have been interested in the question of whether the body of water where Hagen “hit him through the sign with the spear”, as it is called in stanza 981, is actually to be found in Odin's forest. But where exactly? Above all, people in Grasellenbach like to believe in being at the center of the saga about heroism and betrayal. Regardless of other communities such as Hüttenthal, which claims the place of murder at Lindelbrunnen near today's B 460, a sandstone cross was placed at the source, which was considered authentic, as early as the middle of the 19th century, which was followed by a modern work for the Grasellenbach center. For the (presumed) anniversary of the eight hundred year writing in 2000, the sculptor Volker Reinhard created the three-part “Nibelungenbrunnen”.Or did the assassination take place in a source area whose name "Red Water" should be enough evidence? Contrary to the fama, it is of course less likely that Siegfried's blood was shed in the protected moor. Only before, nothing was known about a brown alga that binds the iron content of the water and deposits it rust-red. The predominant tone is "green" in this only real, because peat-forming moor in the Odenwald, especially now that sedges, moss pillows, cotton grass and an almost impenetrable sea of ferns are in splendid growth.Note: The detour recorded by the track from the top of the five serpentines above the Streitbachtal can be omitted, as the proposed natural monument only exists in a rudimentary form.Based on the Friday print edition, there are further explanations and detailed directions at: faz.net/wandertipp

      translated byView Original
      • July 15, 2021

  11. loading