The name of the tour is still used today by the locals. It comes from the history of the place.
Until 1500 the "Ain- und Gmainwald" reached up to the Herzberg, where the Kelheimers grew their wine. The Kelheim citizens, who at that time lived mainly from agriculture, pushed this forest back more and more and created so-called "prannies" on it with the help of slash and burn. They then used them as pasture for their cows. In 1617 the Kelheimers already owned 26 and in 1698 140 such "Prannen". That is why the expression "on the fire" has become common for this area.
a day ago
The ascent from Regen to Weißenstein leads over Heilig-Geist-Gasse. We used Weißensteiner Straße (following an old custom), but had to go through the (private) Peschlhof and were lucky that the gate was open.
Weissenstein Castle or whatever is left is on the "pole". It was built around 1100, devastated by the Swedes in the Thirty Years War in 1633 and finally destroyed in 1742 by Franz von der Trenck and his Pandours.
In 1918 the writer Siegfried von Vegesack bought the house and made it his apartment. Because of the high costs it incurred, he called it "The Eating House". This is what he called his novel, published in 1932.Our hiking route continued on the "Böhmweg" (also a beautiful MTB tour), an old trade route to Bohemia, down into the Rinchnach valley and along the Black Regen back to Regen.
November 16, 2020