최고의 자연 기념물인 라드브룩, 워릭셔 주변에는 역사적인 성스러운 우물 모음, 경치 좋은 호수로 변모한 옛 채석장, 지역 자연 보호 구역이 있습니다. 이 지역은 자연 경관과 역사적 중요성을 지닌 장소들이 조화를 이루며 방문객들에게 다양한 흥미로운 지점을 제공합니다. 자연적 특징은 고대 삼림부터 지질학적 지형까지 다양하며, 이 지역의 다양한 환경을 반영합니다. 이러한 장소들은 종종 도보 경로에 통합되어 자연의 아름다움과 문화 유산을 모두 탐험할 수 있게 합니다.
마지막 업데이트: 8월 23, 2026
하이라이트 • 자연 기념물
팁에 의해
이런 장소를 발견하려면 지금 가입하세요
최고의 싱글 트랙, 봉우리 및 다양한 흥미로운 야외 장소에 대한 추천을 받아보세요.
무료 회원 가입
하이라이트 • 자연 기념물
팁에 의해
오늘 무료 계정으로 시작하세요
다음 모험이 기다리고 있어요.
로그인 또는 가입하기
It is an unusual half-moon stone structure holding the water, with three strange heads out of whose mouths the water flows down to the river.
0
0
We had to double back on ourselves slightly to see the lakes, as they were hidden behind a hedge
0
1
If you follow the beautiful trail that departs from Southam heading east and runs alongside the River Stowe, you will come across The Holy Well, believed to be the oldest recorded Holy Well in England. It has been there for over a thousand years, with its most recent renovation taking place almost twenty years ago.
1
0
History of Oakley Wood There has been woodland here since way back in the 16th Century but much of it was replanted with Scots pine. There are now large areas of conifer with some broadleaf trees and scrubland mixed in. Warwickshire Wildlife Trust have longer term plans to restore the wood back to native broadleaf trees.
0
0
A circular earthwork is clearly visible on the ground on Harts Hill. It measures approximately 15m internal diameter, the ditch is 2m wide and the entrance (facing SE) is 2.5m across.
0
0
The site of a holy well which dates to the Medieval period, though the stone work surrounding the well dates to the Imperial period. Further restoration has taken place in the 20th century. It is situated 800m west of the church, Southam. Oldest recorded holy well in England? The first mention of the well is apparently 998, when it is mentioned in a charter to Leofwine by King Ethelred the Unready as a consequence as the term holy well per se derives from Old English halig this is probably the oldest recorded. However, it does not appear to be specifically mentioned as such. However in a Feet of Fines there is a notice in 1206 of a: “half acre land at Hallewellcul to the north” Over the next 800 years there then appear to be regular references to the well. By the 18th century there is reference to some sort of protective structure, although the date of the current structure cannot perhaps be gauged from these references. By 1701 a record notes that the Rector was exempted from keeping the well and fencing in repair: “one footway of the breadth of three feet leading from a certain stile at the bottom of an ancient enclosed ground called Bury Orchard towards Ufton by the Brook to the said well called Holy Well.” By 1760, a public footpath to the well was made permanent in an Act of Parliament and the enclosures act noting: “it is hereby further enacted and declared, That the said Well, called Holy Well, in the said Open Fields of Southam aforesaid, shall not be allotted to any of the said Proprietors, but shall be inclosed round with Posts and Rails, Three Yards at least distant from the Stone-work of the said Well, by, and at, the Expence of all the said Proprietors, and shall be kept for the Benefit of all the Inhabitants of the Parish of Southam aforesaid; and which said Posts and Rails shall, forever thereafter, be repaired and kept in Repair by, and at, the Expence of the Inhabitants of Southam aforesaid; and that the said Commissioners, or their Successors, or any three or more of them, shall assign, or lay out, a Footway from the Town of Southam aforesaid, to the said Well..” Healing eye water The main two properties, other than a possibly being better than beer, is that it was very cold but never froze and that it was good for eyes. Indeed, its powers in restoring eyes lead to a Henry Lilley-Smith establishing in 1818 an eye and ear hospital not far. Local remedies also recall how to make a tincture with the well water for eyes. The well of St Fremund? One of the possible reasons for the site being a holy well is that it was associated with the Mercian saint Fremund. The Life and Death of the Most Holy Fremund, King and Martyr by Burghard, 12th century (tr. from text in Nova Legenda Anglie ) tells how St Fremund, having been beheaded: “stood up as if nothing had happened, picked his head up off the ground, and set out with the head in his hands. The crowd were amazed at this miracle and followed in his tracks, praising God. He made his way to a spot between Itchington and Harbury, and when he got there he took a stand and thrust the point of his sword in the ground. He prayed to God for a little water to wash his head and body, and what he sought, he gained. For a spring welled up at this very spot, flowing in an unfailing stream and proving the merits of this famous martyr before all the world. He drank of its waters, he washed his wounds, he gave honour to that God in whom all live and have their being. Then turning his head to the east, he sank dead to the ground”. The Metrical Life of St Fremund by William of Ramsay, 1194×1220 (tr. from text in Pinchbeck Register 1925) repeats the story from Burghard, detailing how ‘No sooner had he wished for water than a spring appeared/ Purer than dew, clearer than crystal, finer/ Than gold, and scattering silver sands’. Later, the Life of Sts. Edmund and Fremund by John Lydgate, 1434 tells how “there sprong up a welle/ With crystal watrys the stremys gan up welle;/ And wessh away the blood that was so red,/ Which doun disttillyd from his hooly hed”. egend has it that Fremund was a son of Kind Offa of Mercia. After his death, a great battle ensued at Radford Semele against the invading Vikings in which Fremund was completely victorious. However as Fremund knelt in prayer of thanksgiving one of his own men envious of his success struck off his head. However the legend suggests that the well was not at Southam. For when his corpse stood up, picking up his head and walking away; he stopped somewhere between Harbury and Whitton, possibly Whitnash and there a miraculous well sprung up at his feet, in the water of which he washed his head then lay down and died. This would go against the view that the Southam well is the same. Well preserved fabric The first description of the site is Carlisle (1812) ‘Observations on the positions of the alien cell of Begare, and of Halywell upon Watling Street’ who describes: “a well of very fine clear water, called Holywell, or Halywell, which has always been reputed salubrious. It is… perpetually overflowing, without much variation from the seasons. It is a basin on the declivity of a rising ground. Its form is the larger section of a circle; the bottom is paved with smooth stones; and the sides are walled with the same, a little higher than the water stands, which is about two feet deep. It was formerly nearly encompassed with another wall, and upon a stone, at the mouth of the well, the words Utere, sed non abutere were inscribed.” However it was apparently in decline by the 1850s as an article written on the 6th October 1855 in the Warwickshire Advertiser describes: “on the foot road from Southam to Stoney-Thorpe, the residence of H T Chamberlain Esq., is an Ancient Well called ‘Holy Well’ now in a dilapidated condition; but even in its present state, the massive stone work, with curious and not very elegant carved head shews it to have been at one time an object of interest. Its earlier history is not clear, some asserting that it was the source from which Stoney Thorpe was supplied with water when used as a Priory ……it is a large semi-circular well about five feet deep embanked with massive stone masonry, and is supplied by a powerful spring of the Purest Water. It lies at a lower level than the Town, otherwise it might without much expense, be made most valuable for domestic and sanitary purposes. Tradition says it formally had a stone seat placed round it; was furnished with drinking vessels, and covered by an Arched Stone Roof; thus affording refreshment to the Traveller, and a pleasant resort to the health seeker. It is now proposed to restore by a public subscription, this beautiful relic of antiquity, and a considerable sum has already been promised.” This restoration is described by Freton (1890) in his The Warwickshire Feldon: a sketch of its hills and valleys, waters, famous trees, and other physical features in the Proceedings of Warwickshire Naturalists’ & Archaeologists’ Field Club, states that around 40 years ago: “I and a few enthusiastic friends undertook to clear out this old well, in the hopes that it might lead to its ultimate restoration. Our efforts as amateur navvies excited little sympathy among the rough labouring lads of the neighbourhood, who seemed to look upon us as having a slate off, and we invariably found our labour of one evening fruitless the next, so after a week’s hard work we gave it in.” Certainly when Richardson (1928) found it as: “a semicircular recess in the bank. A low retaining wall – recently renovated – prevents the bank from slipping down into it. At its foot is a flagged path along the curved margin of the semicircular well. Impounding the water in the well… is low two buttressed stonework. The stonework is much mutilated, the water flowing over the two broken and worn ends; but the central portion is higher and has three faces sculptured on it from orifices below which the water spouts out. Two flights of steps– that on the left with three steps, that on the right with four – lead down to a “trough” below the stonework”. The most curious facet of the well are the well worn, and hence presumably ancient carved heads. What is their origin? Thoughts have ranged from effigies of sun gods to the recycled remains from a priory or church. I certainly favour the later and they were probably gargoyles and incorporated in the fabric in the 18th century. This may explain why they look more worn than would be expected if was last constructed in that century. However, it seems odd to have incorporated them and it may have been an attempt to produce a folly for a local lord. Well restored However, despite Richardson’s favourable visit, not everything was positive. In 1925 the water was diverted into a reservoir and the provision of mains water artesian wells in the 1930s took their toll on the flow, an article in a local newspaper noting that: “the Holy Well itself a few yards away has been partly emptied, and no water now flows into its basin in dry weather.” By 1981, Brian Townsend noted in Southam Through the Centuries III notes it was little more than a trickle but a year after clearing out and restoration by the Community Enterprise Programme restored the flow through the heads. Yet by 1991 it was dry again, possibly as the result of quarrying and work on a by-pass. This is what it was like when I first visited…filled with rain water and polluted by crab apples. Through the 1990s restoration was planned but due to various reasons it was never attempted until the early 2000s. By 2005 the water supply was relocated and it could be restored, a Holy Well community was established an Heritage Lottery Fund money of £102,500 was successfully obtained. By 2005-7 the site was splendidly restored with seats and a palisade fence with delightful well related carvings on the posts…a fantastic return to the glory..the crowning of that glory the fact the water flows as profusely as ever. A delightful site and a holy well must.
0
0
Bishops Bowl Fishery sits on a 90 acre former limestone quarry, located on the Oxfordshire/Warwickshire border. The quarry work many years ago has created an attractive stone faced bowl. The whole site is recorded as a site of scientific interest. As at Lyme Regis, the Blue Lias at Harbury is rich in marine fossils. In 1927 and 1928 the skeletons of two marine reptiles were found in Harbury quarry. They are an ichthyosaur and a plesiosaur, and both fossils are now in the Natural History Museum, London. The plesiosaur is the unique example of the early Jurassic species Macroplata tenuiceps.
1
0
Ladbroke 주변에는 역사적 유적지와 자연 명소가 혼합되어 있습니다. 여기에는 풍부한 역사를 지닌 고대 성스러운 우물들이 있으며, Holy Well, Burton Dassett와 Holy Well, Southam 등이 있습니다. 또한 화석으로 유명한 옛 채석장인 Bishops Bowl Lakes와 같은 독특한 지질학적 지형과 Oakley Wood Local Nature Reserve와 같은 숲도 방문할 수 있습니다.
네, Holy Well, Southam은 가족 친화적인 곳으로 알려져 있으며, 오랜 전설을 간직한 흥미로운 역사 유적지를 제공합니다. 또한, Oakley Wood Local Nature Reserve는 가족들이 탐험하기에 적합한 쾌적한 숲 환경을 제공합니다.
이곳의 많은 자연 명소들은 깊은 역사적 뿌리를 가지고 있습니다. Holy Well, Southam은 998년까지 거슬러 올라가는 기록과 성 프레문드와 관련된 전설이 있는 잉글랜드에서 가장 오래된 성스러운 우물로 여겨집니다. Holy Well, Burton Dassett 또한 1534년으로 추정되는 비문이 있는 '성스러운 우물'이라는 주장이 있습니다. Harts Hill은 고대 인류 활동을 나타내는 뚜렷한 원형 토목 구조물을 특징으로 합니다.
네, Harts Hill은 전망대로 분류되어 주변 풍경의 멋진 경치를 제공합니다. 전망에 대한 구체적인 세부 정보는 제공되지 않지만, 그 명칭은 경치를 감상하기에 좋은 장소임을 시사합니다.
Bishops Bowl Lakes에서는 과학적으로 흥미로운 옛 석회암 채석장을 탐험할 수 있습니다. 특히 해양 화석이 풍부한 청색 쥐라기(Blue Lias) 암석 지층으로 유명합니다. 1920년대에는 이곳에서 어룡과 수장룡의 골격이 발견되었습니다.
네, 이러한 자연 명소를 포함하거나 지나가는 여러 하이킹 코스가 있습니다. 예를 들어, Holy Well, Southam을 포함하는 Southam 출발 쉬운 7.1km 루프 코스를 찾을 수 있습니다. Ladbroke 주변 하이킹 가이드에서 더 많은 하이킹 옵션을 탐색할 수 있습니다.
하이킹 외에도 라드브로크 주변 지역에서는 사이클링을 즐길 수 있습니다. 다양한 로드 사이클링 및 투어링 자전거 코스를 찾을 수 있습니다. 예를 들어, 버튼 다셋 컨트리 파크와 같은 지역을 지나는 비숍스 이칭턴의 쉬운 로드 사이클링 루프가 있습니다. 자세한 코스는 라드브로크 주변 로드 사이클링 코스 및 라드브로크 주변 사이클링 가이드를 확인하세요.
각 기념물에 대한 구체적인 계절별 조언은 없지만, 오클리 우드 지역 자연 보호 구역과 같은 자연 지역은 일반적으로 봄에는 야생화, 여름에는 푸른 녹음, 가을에는 화려한 단풍을 즐기기에 좋습니다. 성수(Holy Wells)와 같은 역사 유적지는 연중 방문할 수 있지만, 좋은 날씨는 그곳까지 걷는 경험을 더욱 풍요롭게 합니다.
네, 오클리 우드 지역 자연 보호 구역은 중요한 삼림 지역입니다. 16세기까지 거슬러 올라가는 역사를 가지고 있으며, 침엽수와 일부 활엽수가 넓게 분포하고 있습니다. 토착 활엽수 종으로 더욱 복원하려는 계획이 진행 중이어서 자연 산책을 즐기기에 좋은 장소입니다.
비숍스 볼 호수는 석회암 채석장이 매력적인 자연 지역으로 변모한 곳이기 때문에 독특합니다. 이곳은 희귀한 어룡 및 수장룡 골격 화석을 포함한 풍부한 해양 화석 퇴적물로 인해 과학적 관심 대상으로 인정받고 있으며, 이는 이곳의 블루 리아스 암석에서 발견됩니다.
성수는 고대 역사와 지역 민속에 대한 통찰력을 제공합니다. 사우담 성수(Holy Well, Southam)는 중세 시대 기원, 1760년에 설립된 공공 통행로, 그리고 치유의 눈물에 대한 전설로 유명합니다. 버튼 다셋 성수(Holy Well, Burton Dassett)는 1840년대의 상당한 규모의 그리스 양식 우물 건물이 특징이며, 여전히 소원자들이 물에 동전을 남기는 곳으로 방문되고 있습니다.
래드브로크 주변의 최고의 동굴을 찾기 위해 이 가이드를 확인해보세요: