주변의 훌륭한 자연 기념물에는 역사적인 농업 경관과 고요한 자연적 특징이 독특하게 조화를 이루고 있습니다. 이 지역은 중세 농업 방식의 잔재인 구불구불한 "능선과 골" 지형이 특징이며, 땅을 조각해 왔습니다. Priors Hardwick 자체와 같은 높은 지점에서는 주변 Warwickshire 시골 풍경의 탁 트인 전망을 제공합니다. 고대 산울타리, 돌담, 운하 길은 이 지역의 자연미에 기여하며 지역 야생동물을 위한 서식지를 제공합니다.
마지막 업데이트: 8월 23, 2026
하이라이트 • 자연 기념물
팁에 의해
이런 장소를 발견하려면 지금 가입하세요
최고의 싱글 트랙, 봉우리 및 다양한 흥미로운 야외 장소에 대한 추천을 받아보세요.
무료 회원 가입
오늘 무료 계정으로 시작하세요
다음 모험이 기다리고 있어요.
로그인 또는 가입하기
It is an unusual half-moon stone structure holding the water, with three strange heads out of whose mouths the water flows down to the river.
0
0
We had to double back on ourselves slightly to see the lakes, as they were hidden behind a hedge
0
1
If you follow the beautiful trail that departs from Southam heading east and runs alongside the River Stowe, you will come across The Holy Well, believed to be the oldest recorded Holy Well in England. It has been there for over a thousand years, with its most recent renovation taking place almost twenty years ago.
1
0
A circular earthwork is clearly visible on the ground on Harts Hill. It measures approximately 15m internal diameter, the ditch is 2m wide and the entrance (facing SE) is 2.5m across.
0
0
The site of a holy well which dates to the Medieval period, though the stone work surrounding the well dates to the Imperial period. Further restoration has taken place in the 20th century. It is situated 800m west of the church, Southam. Oldest recorded holy well in England? The first mention of the well is apparently 998, when it is mentioned in a charter to Leofwine by King Ethelred the Unready as a consequence as the term holy well per se derives from Old English halig this is probably the oldest recorded. However, it does not appear to be specifically mentioned as such. However in a Feet of Fines there is a notice in 1206 of a: “half acre land at Hallewellcul to the north” Over the next 800 years there then appear to be regular references to the well. By the 18th century there is reference to some sort of protective structure, although the date of the current structure cannot perhaps be gauged from these references. By 1701 a record notes that the Rector was exempted from keeping the well and fencing in repair: “one footway of the breadth of three feet leading from a certain stile at the bottom of an ancient enclosed ground called Bury Orchard towards Ufton by the Brook to the said well called Holy Well.” By 1760, a public footpath to the well was made permanent in an Act of Parliament and the enclosures act noting: “it is hereby further enacted and declared, That the said Well, called Holy Well, in the said Open Fields of Southam aforesaid, shall not be allotted to any of the said Proprietors, but shall be inclosed round with Posts and Rails, Three Yards at least distant from the Stone-work of the said Well, by, and at, the Expence of all the said Proprietors, and shall be kept for the Benefit of all the Inhabitants of the Parish of Southam aforesaid; and which said Posts and Rails shall, forever thereafter, be repaired and kept in Repair by, and at, the Expence of the Inhabitants of Southam aforesaid; and that the said Commissioners, or their Successors, or any three or more of them, shall assign, or lay out, a Footway from the Town of Southam aforesaid, to the said Well..” Healing eye water The main two properties, other than a possibly being better than beer, is that it was very cold but never froze and that it was good for eyes. Indeed, its powers in restoring eyes lead to a Henry Lilley-Smith establishing in 1818 an eye and ear hospital not far. Local remedies also recall how to make a tincture with the well water for eyes. The well of St Fremund? One of the possible reasons for the site being a holy well is that it was associated with the Mercian saint Fremund. The Life and Death of the Most Holy Fremund, King and Martyr by Burghard, 12th century (tr. from text in Nova Legenda Anglie ) tells how St Fremund, having been beheaded: “stood up as if nothing had happened, picked his head up off the ground, and set out with the head in his hands. The crowd were amazed at this miracle and followed in his tracks, praising God. He made his way to a spot between Itchington and Harbury, and when he got there he took a stand and thrust the point of his sword in the ground. He prayed to God for a little water to wash his head and body, and what he sought, he gained. For a spring welled up at this very spot, flowing in an unfailing stream and proving the merits of this famous martyr before all the world. He drank of its waters, he washed his wounds, he gave honour to that God in whom all live and have their being. Then turning his head to the east, he sank dead to the ground”. The Metrical Life of St Fremund by William of Ramsay, 1194×1220 (tr. from text in Pinchbeck Register 1925) repeats the story from Burghard, detailing how ‘No sooner had he wished for water than a spring appeared/ Purer than dew, clearer than crystal, finer/ Than gold, and scattering silver sands’. Later, the Life of Sts. Edmund and Fremund by John Lydgate, 1434 tells how “there sprong up a welle/ With crystal watrys the stremys gan up welle;/ And wessh away the blood that was so red,/ Which doun disttillyd from his hooly hed”. egend has it that Fremund was a son of Kind Offa of Mercia. After his death, a great battle ensued at Radford Semele against the invading Vikings in which Fremund was completely victorious. However as Fremund knelt in prayer of thanksgiving one of his own men envious of his success struck off his head. However the legend suggests that the well was not at Southam. For when his corpse stood up, picking up his head and walking away; he stopped somewhere between Harbury and Whitton, possibly Whitnash and there a miraculous well sprung up at his feet, in the water of which he washed his head then lay down and died. This would go against the view that the Southam well is the same. Well preserved fabric The first description of the site is Carlisle (1812) ‘Observations on the positions of the alien cell of Begare, and of Halywell upon Watling Street’ who describes: “a well of very fine clear water, called Holywell, or Halywell, which has always been reputed salubrious. It is… perpetually overflowing, without much variation from the seasons. It is a basin on the declivity of a rising ground. Its form is the larger section of a circle; the bottom is paved with smooth stones; and the sides are walled with the same, a little higher than the water stands, which is about two feet deep. It was formerly nearly encompassed with another wall, and upon a stone, at the mouth of the well, the words Utere, sed non abutere were inscribed.” However it was apparently in decline by the 1850s as an article written on the 6th October 1855 in the Warwickshire Advertiser describes: “on the foot road from Southam to Stoney-Thorpe, the residence of H T Chamberlain Esq., is an Ancient Well called ‘Holy Well’ now in a dilapidated condition; but even in its present state, the massive stone work, with curious and not very elegant carved head shews it to have been at one time an object of interest. Its earlier history is not clear, some asserting that it was the source from which Stoney Thorpe was supplied with water when used as a Priory ……it is a large semi-circular well about five feet deep embanked with massive stone masonry, and is supplied by a powerful spring of the Purest Water. It lies at a lower level than the Town, otherwise it might without much expense, be made most valuable for domestic and sanitary purposes. Tradition says it formally had a stone seat placed round it; was furnished with drinking vessels, and covered by an Arched Stone Roof; thus affording refreshment to the Traveller, and a pleasant resort to the health seeker. It is now proposed to restore by a public subscription, this beautiful relic of antiquity, and a considerable sum has already been promised.” This restoration is described by Freton (1890) in his The Warwickshire Feldon: a sketch of its hills and valleys, waters, famous trees, and other physical features in the Proceedings of Warwickshire Naturalists’ & Archaeologists’ Field Club, states that around 40 years ago: “I and a few enthusiastic friends undertook to clear out this old well, in the hopes that it might lead to its ultimate restoration. Our efforts as amateur navvies excited little sympathy among the rough labouring lads of the neighbourhood, who seemed to look upon us as having a slate off, and we invariably found our labour of one evening fruitless the next, so after a week’s hard work we gave it in.” Certainly when Richardson (1928) found it as: “a semicircular recess in the bank. A low retaining wall – recently renovated – prevents the bank from slipping down into it. At its foot is a flagged path along the curved margin of the semicircular well. Impounding the water in the well… is low two buttressed stonework. The stonework is much mutilated, the water flowing over the two broken and worn ends; but the central portion is higher and has three faces sculptured on it from orifices below which the water spouts out. Two flights of steps– that on the left with three steps, that on the right with four – lead down to a “trough” below the stonework”. The most curious facet of the well are the well worn, and hence presumably ancient carved heads. What is their origin? Thoughts have ranged from effigies of sun gods to the recycled remains from a priory or church. I certainly favour the later and they were probably gargoyles and incorporated in the fabric in the 18th century. This may explain why they look more worn than would be expected if was last constructed in that century. However, it seems odd to have incorporated them and it may have been an attempt to produce a folly for a local lord. Well restored However, despite Richardson’s favourable visit, not everything was positive. In 1925 the water was diverted into a reservoir and the provision of mains water artesian wells in the 1930s took their toll on the flow, an article in a local newspaper noting that: “the Holy Well itself a few yards away has been partly emptied, and no water now flows into its basin in dry weather.” By 1981, Brian Townsend noted in Southam Through the Centuries III notes it was little more than a trickle but a year after clearing out and restoration by the Community Enterprise Programme restored the flow through the heads. Yet by 1991 it was dry again, possibly as the result of quarrying and work on a by-pass. This is what it was like when I first visited…filled with rain water and polluted by crab apples. Through the 1990s restoration was planned but due to various reasons it was never attempted until the early 2000s. By 2005 the water supply was relocated and it could be restored, a Holy Well community was established an Heritage Lottery Fund money of £102,500 was successfully obtained. By 2005-7 the site was splendidly restored with seats and a palisade fence with delightful well related carvings on the posts…a fantastic return to the glory..the crowning of that glory the fact the water flows as profusely as ever. A delightful site and a holy well must.
0
0
Bishops Bowl Fishery sits on a 90 acre former limestone quarry, located on the Oxfordshire/Warwickshire border. The quarry work many years ago has created an attractive stone faced bowl. The whole site is recorded as a site of scientific interest. As at Lyme Regis, the Blue Lias at Harbury is rich in marine fossils. In 1927 and 1928 the skeletons of two marine reptiles were found in Harbury quarry. They are an ichthyosaur and a plesiosaur, and both fossils are now in the Natural History Museum, London. The plesiosaur is the unique example of the early Jurassic species Macroplata tenuiceps.
1
0
The Battle of Edgecote Moor took place 6 miles (9.7 km) north east of Banbury, Oxfordshire, in what is now the civil parish of Chipping Warden and Edgcote, England on 26 July 1469 during the Wars of the Roses. The site of the battle was actually Danes Moor in Northamptonshire, at a crossing of a tributary of the River Cherwell. The battle saw supporters of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, defeat the forces of King Edward IV, leading to the king's capitulation soon afterwards.
1
0
이 지역은 중세 농업의 흔적으로 독특한 패턴으로 땅을 조각한 "능선과 고랑" 지형으로 유명합니다. 또한 시골의 아름다움에 기여하고 야생동물 서식지를 제공하는 고대 울타리와 돌담을 찾을 수 있습니다. 중요한 수역으로는, 전 석회암 채석장이었던 비숍스 볼 호수가 있으며, 풍부한 해양 화석으로 인해 과학적 관심 대상이기도 한 고요한 환경을 제공합니다.
네, 자연의 아름다움과 역사적 중요성을 결합한 여러 장소가 있습니다. "능선과 고랑" 지형 자체는 수세기 동안 인간과 땅의 상호작용을 보여주는 역사적인 자연 기념물입니다. 또한, 도로와 중세 연못을 포함한 버려진 중세 마을의 잘 보존된 토목 구조물은 과거 정착 패턴을 엿볼 수 있는 드문 기회를 제공합니다. 또한 역사적으로 '성스러운 샘'으로 알려진 상당한 규모의 샘 머리인 홀리 웰, 버튼 다셋을 방문할 수 있습니다.
프라이어스 하드윅은 능선에 위치하여 탁 트인 전망을 제공합니다. 하츠 힐은 고요한 시골 풍경을 감상할 수 있는 훌륭한 전망 지점을 제공합니다. 맑은 날에는 호스 힐과 같은 높은 곳에서 말번 언덕까지 볼 수도 있습니다.
네, 홀리 웰, 사우담은 가족 친화적인 곳으로 여겨지며, 영국에서 가장 오래된 기록된 성스러운 샘으로 알려져 있어 흥미로운 역사적 방문을 제공합니다. 가까운 보딩턴 저수지도 가족 산책으로 인기가 있습니다. 프라이어스 하드윅 주변의 운하 길과 넓은 들판은 가족에게 적합한 쉽고 완만한 경로를 제공합니다.
이 지역은 걷기, 하이킹, 자전거 타기에 이상적입니다. 경치 좋은 운하 길과 넓은 들판을 탐험할 수 있습니다. 특정 경로를 찾으려면 프라이어스 하드윅 주변 버스 정류장에서 출발하는 하이킹 또는 프라이어스 하드윅 주변 자전거 경로를 고려해 보세요. 또한 여유로운 하루를 보내기에 완벽한 쉬운 하이킹도 가능합니다.
프라이어스 하드윅 주변의 자연 기념물과 풍경은 일년 내내 즐길 수 있습니다. 봄에는 야생화가 피고 녹음이 우거지며, 가을에는 아름다운 단풍을 즐길 수 있습니다. 여름은 긴 산책과 피크닉에 이상적이며, 겨울 산책도 특히 능선과 고랑 지형을 가로지를 때 그림 같을 수 있지만, 길이 진흙투성이일 수 있습니다.
물론입니다. 도로, 주택 터, 연못 등의 가시적인 유적을 포함한 중세 마을 토목 구조물은 자연 경관에 통합된 중요한 고고학적 특징입니다. 이들은 독특한 역사적, 자연적 경험을 제공하는 지정 고대 기념물입니다. 하츠 힐(Harts Hill)에도 명확하게 보이는 원형 토목 구조물이 있습니다.
네, 이전 석회암 채석장이었던 비숍스 볼 호수(Bishops Bowl Lakes)는 과학적으로 흥미로운 장소입니다. 이곳의 블루 리아스(Blue Lias) 지층은 해양 화석이 풍부하며, 어룡과 장경룡의 골격이 발견되어 현재 런던 자연사 박물관에 소장되어 있습니다.
능선과 골짜기 지형, 고대 울타리 등 많은 자연적 특징은 지역 발바닥 길과 산책로를 통해 접근할 수 있습니다. 운하 길 또한 쉽고 평탄한 산책 옵션을 제공합니다. 특정 쉬운 경로를 찾으려면 '프라이어스 하드윅 마을 회관 - 프라이어스 하드윅 마을 녹지 루프'와 같은 경로를 포함하는 프라이어스 하드윅 주변 쉬운 하이킹을 탐색해 보세요.
카우풀(Cowpool)은 프라이어스 하드윅(Priors Hardwick) 외곽에 위치한 작지만 역사적으로 중요한 연못입니다. 한때 웨일스 도로를 따라 여행하는 소몰이꾼들에게 필수적인 물 공급 장소 역할을 했으며, 이 지역의 풍부한 농업 및 무역로의 역사를 반영합니다.
댄스 무어(Danes Moor)라고도 알려진 엣지콧 전투(Battle of Edgcote) 유적지는 장미 전쟁 시대의 역사적인 전장입니다. 주로 역사적인 장소이지만, 체르웰 강 지류의 교차점에 위치한 자연 경관 내에 있어 중요한 조망 지점이며 역사가 자연 환경에 깊이 뿌리내린 곳입니다.
프라이어스 하드윅 주변의 최고의 동굴을 찾기 위해 이 가이드를 확인해보세요: