In Silene (Barovka) there was an old wooden chapel, built in the 19th century. In the calendar of the Diocese of Telši in 1911, it is mentioned as a branch of Elerna, where priest Pēteris Purovskis lived. This chapel burned down. You can see from the remaining stone foundation that it was 14 x 6 m in size. Now a small hut has been built on these foundations and is located approx. 50 m. The chapel was dedicated to St. In honor of John the Baptist.
The present Silene wooden church was built by priest Miķelis Skorupskis. He worked in Elern as a vicar. He bought land in Silene, which he gave to Lapinski. Lapinski also helped the church in other ways. After his death, he was buried in the parish cemetery and the inscription on the monument emphasizes that he was a benefactor of the church. Priest M.Skorupskis from Elerne built the Silene wooden church in 1913 at his own expense. The year of construction is carved into the foundation stone near the presbytery.