The medieval ramparts of Tongeren date from the 13th century and had six gates: the Trichterpoort (road to Maastricht), the Moerenpoort (road to Wezet), the Loere or Luyckerpoort (road to Liège), the Steinrepoort or Steenderpoort (road to Koninksem). ), the Kruispoort (road to Sint-Truiden) and the Hemelingenpoort (road to Hasselt). Of these gates, only the Moerenpoort, dated 1379, has been preserved. Furthermore, the rampart had seven fortified towers. Due to its city privileges, Tongeren had acquired the right to protect its area with a wall. The works started before 1241 and were almost completed in 1290. The remains of the first and second Roman city walls were used as building material. The gates and towers were originally defended by the various trades. However, from the 14th century the city had a permanent militia, consisting of longbowmen and foot or crossbowmen. In 1516 a company of colverniers or arquebusiers was also added. In 1673, during the war between Louis XIV and the United Provinces, the city was besieged and captured by the French. All gates and adjacent walls were blown up, with the exception of the Moerenpoort. The city walls and gates were restored again between 1722 and 1734. During the 19th century, the city gates, with the exception of the Moerenpoort, were completely demolished.