On the Kleperberg directly at the Bismarck tower is one of the still preserved Gauss stones.
It was one of the first measurement points in the Gaussian survey and formed a triangle with the Hohen Hagen and the Göttingen observatory.
Gauss stones are historical surveying pillars that the mathematician and geodesist Carl Friedrich Gauß had erected around 1820 to measure the Kingdom of Hanover. You can find them mainly in the area of today's Lower Saxony. Most of the remaining stones are under monument protection.
In 1820 King George IV commissioned the mathematician, physicist and professor of astronomy at the University of Göttingen and director of the Göttingen observatory, Carl Friedrich Gauß, to measure the Kingdom of Hanover. In 1821, Gauss began the field work to triangulate the kingdom. With his degree measurements by 1825, he laid the foundations for further surveying work, which others, including his son Joseph, continued until 1844. As a result, the work on the Gaussian land survey and the development of the Gauß-Krüger coordinate system by Gauss.
In the past, the areas were not so heavily forested, which is why such a measurement worked.